Worst case of two tier pricing????

kevkev1888

Thats interesting I did not realise that this was a standard practice for all national parks.

Knowing this somehow makes me feel less ripped off, not sure why??????

You would think though if ferrang are paying 10x price that they would at least provide some of the information in english as well as thai?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS,

That is the point I was making, as much as people like to complain about dual pricing in Thailand as being racist, in fact it is not. If you can demonstrate that you pay Taxes in Thailand, WP being the easiest method, then you are entitled to the lower rate.

If your Thai is fairly fluent, you can often get the Thai price. But that still shows they are screwing the tourists.

It's not just parks, palaces etc. There is a master of arts degree programme in EFL offered by the Language Institute at Thammasat University. From all I hear, it is quite good and not easy either. However, the tuition for Thais is precisely ONE-TENTH that paid by foreigners. If that is not ripping off the foreign devils, I don't know what is.

:(

I still don't get it. This two-tiered pricing is NOT a Thai thing. It happens everywhere. E.g., here's the UofM tuition schedule: http://www.umich.edu/~regoff/tuition/full.html#Prof_Med .

Cheers,

SD

I rarely and only on two occasions have paid the Farang price, as Mekong says if you show your a tax payer it seems to do the trick.

I usually don't carry work permit so I show my Social Security card or my drivers licence.

For the tourist, is, it's a pain, but I also sympathise a little too, I am har sip har sip (50 50) on this.

25 baht is a hour wage, 250 is at least ours (I get paid Thai wages :( )

Paying the extra isn;t too bad, but I object to it as well.

Can;t make my mind up to be honest.

And remember it's not just public places that do it. Thai entertainment family venues, such as Croc farms etc you'll see Thai prices (maybe you wont :) ) written in Thai! You have NO IDEA your paying extra.

<< I still don't get it. This two-tiered pricing is NOT a Thai thing. It happens everywhere. E.g., here's the UofM tuition schedule: >>

That is based on residency. Here it's is based on race/nationality. I live here and pay taxes, but would still will be expected to pay the the "non-Thai" tuition at a university.

And can you name some state or national parks in the US that charges different entrance fees for different nationalities? I've never encountered it at home. Here even my Thai government employee ID card isn't a guarantee I won't be zapped for a higher price. Holding permanent residency wouldn't guarantee it either.

Archived