Worst case of two tier pricing????

kevkev1888

Took a trip to Hua hin last week with my gtg, one day drove out 65klms to Pal u Waterfalls beutifull countryside ect.

Get to the gate 30bart for car ok 40bart for thai ok 400bart for farrang WTF!!!!!!!

10x The price you gotta be kidding right!

This severly pissed me off, I felt they were basicly sticking two fingers up at me and saying fuck off we dont want you here!

Against my better jugement I paid up, In the end had a great time, the watterfalls wern't that impessive but enjoyed clambering over the rocks swimming with the fish ect ect and stayed a good 4 or 5 hours.

Despite this im still a bit dissaponited with myself for not standing up for my principles and refusing to pay, kicking up a stink and leaving.

As far as two tier pricing goes I dont much like it 2x I can stomach but 10x this shit should be illegal, does Thailand actualy want tourists to come here?

Anyone else got any better or worse examples???

Do you pay up or leave???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general, what I like about Thailand is that there's far LESS 10X two-tier pricing here than in, say, Cambodia (where I speak the language a hell of a lot better, but that rarely helps me at all as far as being gouged, haha)...

the gleaming example being transportation: there is almost nowhere you can go in Cambodia with a white face and not be quoted a price many multiples of the local price...but when I go to Victory Monument, and tell the guys with the vans to Ayutthya (in Thai) that that's where I wanna go, NEVER have I had them try to get me pay any more than the local price (45 baht)...

likewise with housing here...if you speak Thai, and you're willing to live in a basic apartment building with taxi drivers and sex workers, you will pay exactly the same that they pay...I did it for years.

preahko

Kevkev, others have also paid the same. I guess if they can get away with it once, they figure they can get away with it most of the time.

If you have a Thai driver's licence it sometimes helps you get the local pricing.

Here's a little rant from the Hua Hin webiste..

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/trip-report-t7369.html?highlight=palau

Cava, in the US they do that to their own sometimes...

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader2007/reader4033.htm

If your Thai is fairly fluent, you can often get the Thai price. But that still shows they are screwing the tourists.

It's not just parks, palaces etc. There is a master of arts degree programme in EFL offered by the Language Institute at Thammasat University. From all I hear, it is quite good and not easy either. However, the tuition for Thais is precisely ONE-TENTH that paid by foreigners. If that is not ripping off the foreign devils, I don't know what is.

:(

Do you pay up or leave???

I no longer go to NP's in Thailand. Been to most of them already anyway! I thought the previous increase to 20B for Thais and 200B for foreigners was annoying but the last increase was seriously taking the piss. It's not as if the parks are that well maintained. Koh Samet a case in point.

As Palatkik pointed out the price has always been 10x higher for non Thai than it is for Thai and it used to be 20 baht / 200 baht but both prices doubled in the middle of 2006 to 40 / 400 Baht.

The 10x price does not apply to all farangs, I get into NP's for Thai price by showing my work permit, but then again for the amount of Tax paid here on my behalf probably pays the Salary of 15 NP workers.

Archived