Muhammad teddy teacher arrested

Flashermac

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wondered if they (foreign teachers in Muslim countries) had any type of instruction in local religion and customs.

The article says...

"Certainly she is also very worldly wise and she is obviously aware of the sensitivities around Islam."

but she allows a stuffed toy to be named after Mohamed?

I'm certainly not defending the lunatic fringe of Islam but it didn't seem like a very wise move on her behalf.

I guess it's all down to interpretation...school kids, teddy bear...children view teddy bears with affection, they get comfort from such things...to me it was a rather sweet what the kids did. Innocent. I bet they all feel pretty bad now, so well done muslim nutters, you've created guilt and anxiety in those kids...next stop, get them shooting stuff and hating westerners.

Student defends teacher

KHARTOUM (Reuters) - A 7-year-old Sudanese student on Tuesday defended the British teacher accused of insulting Islam saying he had chosen to call a teddy bear Mohammad because it was his own name.

Gillian Gibbons, a 54-year-old teacher at the Unity High School in Khartoum, was arrested on Sunday after complaints from parents that she had insulted Islam's Prophet by allowing the bear to be named Mohammad. She is facing a third night in jail without being formally charged.

"The teacher asked me what I wanted to call the teddy," the boy said shyly, his voice barely rising above a whisper. "I said Mohammad. I named it after my name," he added.

Sitting in his garden wearing shorts, his family, who did not want their full names used, urged him to describe what had happened.

He said he was not thinking of Islam's Prophet when asked to suggest a name, adding most of the class agreed with his choice.

In a writing exercise students were asked to keep a diary of what they did with the teddy bear. "Some people took the teddy home and took it places with them ... like the swimming pool," the child said.

Mohammad said Gibbons was "very nice" and he would be upset if she never came back to teach. He added Gibbons had not discussed religion nor did she mention the Prophet.

Link

Archived