Colds/Respiratory Ailments--Poll

Hugh_Hoy

At the suggestion of another board member, I'll put up a poll to query those who visit the LOS (not those who live there). The reason for the poll is that many seem to contract some kind of head cold, sinusitis, bronchial ailment, etc. shortly after arriving in the LOS or sometime during their stays.

I seem to catch a "bug" about half the time. Most of the time, it's just a "cold", but sometimes accompanied by a cough or fever. At first, I thought there might be some kind of Legionnaires Disease being spread about the Royal Grand Nana Hotel Resort and Spa. Then, I pondered what germs were floating around at 36,000 feet as I crossed the Pacific in an enclosed aircraft cabin with 300 other folks. And, of course, some day-long bus trips half-way across the country and assorted mongers and tarts I came across nightly. All in all, it's almost a pleasant surprise when my 3-4 week stays don't result in some kind of "inconvenience". What do you guys say?

This time was the worst.. Hacking cough, fever, night sweats etc. (symptoms started on the 5th day in thailand)

I think I've got particularly weak earholes too - I always seem to lose my hearing for a few days after I get back (ear nose and throat I spose!)

I fly quite a lot though.. Based in the UK and fly to Europe (Finland, Brussels) and Canada a fair bit for work and never have any problems.

SARS / Birdflu?

My guess is that it is the travelers at airport terminal and people on airplane.

You'rs standing and/or sitting next to this mass of cholera plague flu infested mass of humanity coughing and hacking constantly and continuously all around you for 16 - 24 hours.

It's a miracle that more just don't end up dead upon arrival in Thailand!

If some company manufactured a comfortable light weight gas mask, I would purchase it in a heart beat!

I would recommend that all international flights require a de-fumigation spray for all passengers before entering the airplane. Some should take a shower too - and be sprayed with DDT, bleach, and soap.

:relieved:

There is and has been a nasty flu like virus going around Bangkok, shitloads of people i know have it now...it seems to be peaking, i've not contracted it yet, but have been exposed to it countless times. Been feeling a bit off colour for the last 2 days though...fingers crossed it doesn't worsen.

Archived