Farang Pet Peeves

joe king

Pet Peeves About Farangs in Thailand

10. Guys who walk around Bangkok with no shirt. This ain't the beach buddy, get a shirt.

9. Guys who live in Bangkok but won't buy a BTS pass so everytime you travel with them on the skytrain you have to hang around and wait while they fumble around with change and machines and buying tickets. You live here. Buy a pass.

8. Guys who smoke cigars and/or cigarettes and are oblivious to blowing/drifting the smoke into my face. If you want to smoke the nasty things fine. I don't.

7. Guys who brag about not wearing condoms with the girls. You're an old guy who has had a good life. Have a little empathy for young uneducated Thai girls with their whole lives ahead of them who sure as hell don't deserve to catch HIV even if morons like you do.

6. Guys who overbitch about the dual Thai pricing. No it's not right. Neither is the fact that YOUR country's minimum wage is more than 192 baht a day. Get over it and pay the man.

5. Guys who constantly want to tell you about what big well connected wheels they are, how much money they make, how many big deals they have in the works, ad naseum. Yeah Right Mr. Trump, buy all us poor folks a beer.

4. Guys who bring their fat white wife and children into beer bars. Hint: The Beer Garden is not a family restaurant.

3. Guys who live in Thailand and only eat western food. You might want to rethink that one.

2. Guys who call the girls whores/sluts. If you can't say something nice you might want to be quiet.

1. Guys who jaywalk along sukhumvit. Meet Mr. Cement Truck.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Phuud Len - welcome to the board.

And yes - J2 is right - interesting first post.

But I disagree with this one:

3. Guys who live in Thailand and only eat western food. You might want to rethink that one.

Why?

Sure, Thai food is fine, but it's not my favourite cuisine (by a long way) and I don't want to eat it all the time when living in Thailand.

How many Thais visiting the west will eat farang food EVERY meal or even for the majority of their meals? Within 10 minutes of landing they're craving Thai food and turn their noses up at our offerings for the most part.

I feel that if someone doesn't want to immerse themselves in Thai food when in LOS, that's up to them. It's not culturally ignorant, (such as your example about walking around with your shirt off), and it doesn't hurt anyone or damage the local culture the way other "farang actions" do.

If they bitch about Thai food and how crap it is, then yeah - that's bad.

But if they want to quietly sit in the corner with The Bangkok Post and eat a cheeseburger and fries I have no issue with that whatsoever.

Pet Peeves About Farangs in Thailand

10. Guys who walk around Bangkok with no shirt. This ain't the beach buddy, get a shirt.

[color:brown]Actually it is December now, thick long sleeve shirts daytime and a timberland jacket in the evening[/color]

9. Guys who live in Bangkok but won't buy a BTS pass so everytime you travel with them on the skytrain you have to hang around and wait while they fumble around with change and machines and buying tickets. You live here. Buy a pass.

[color:brown]I Don't use it, My Car, the wifes car or a taxi, BTS only covers a small part of BKK[/color]

8. Guys who smoke cigars and/or cigarettes and are oblivious to blowing/drifting the smoke into my face. If you want to smoke the nasty things fine. I don't.

[color:red]

I empthaise with you on this one even though I am a smoker, it is not that difficult to have both enviroments segregated in public places that allow both sides of the coin a choice. I am quite happy to utilise a designated smoking area, I do it at home[/color]

7. Guys who brag about not wearing condoms with the girls. You're an old guy who has had a good life. Have a little empathy for young uneducated Thai girls with their whole lives ahead of them who sure as hell don't deserve to catch HIV even if morons like you do.

No Comment been away from P4P scene nearly 9 years now, but back then I always used a condom[/color]

6. Guys who overbitch about the dual Thai pricing. No it's not right. Neither is the fact that YOUR country's minimum wage is more than 192 baht a day. Get over it and pay the man.

I never bitch, having a work permit and being a tax payer here allows me to pay Thai prices. Now I could bitch about the taxes I pay but that would be off thread[/color]

5. Guys who constantly want to tell you about what big well connected wheels they are, how much money they make, how many big deals they have in the works, ad naseum. Yeah Right Mr. Trump, buy all us poor folks a beer.

I am probably guilty of part of that acusation, but I am no Donald Trump, I am being offered 300% salary rise to go back to Middle East, I prefer a 9-5 here![/color]

4. Guys who bring their fat white wife and children into beer bars. Hint: The Beer Garden is not a family restaurant.

[color:red]Wife is Thai and we frequent better places[/color]

3. Guys who live in Thailand and only eat western food. You might want to rethink that one.[color:red]

I like a fry up for breakfast and a good steak for dinner, IMHO people who pr[/color]ofess they are 100% Thai food are trying too hard

2. Guys who call the girls whores/sluts. If you can't say something nice you might want to be quiet.

See 7[/color]

1. Guys who jaywalk along sukhumvit. Meet Mr. Cement Truck.

I don't jaywalk in Soho or Kings X why would I in Sukhumvit?[/color]

This is not a first post, just a current poster too shy of his own personna to use his name.

Archived