Tracking Someone Being Deported

bust

I will try and keep this brief but some of you will be aware of a situation with someone very very special to me.

My friend was released from Khlong Phem last Friday after serving 17 months of a 3 year sentence. I have supported her the entire time she has been in there both emotionally and financially as best as I could.

Being of Burmese origin she was to be deported by immigration via Mae Sot across the Friendship Bridge. I was expecting to here from her by now but nothing.

I have always had concerns about her disappearing on the way to the border and becoming a victim of the human trafficking trade that is rampant within this corridor.

The charred and half-decomposed bodies of Burmese are often found along the border, victims who have been killed and hastily buried by ruthless factory owners or human traffickers. According to people in Mae Sot, all you need to make a Burmese person disappear is "two car tires and five liters of gasoline."

Last movement was from the prison to Thong Lor cells. From there she was to be loaded onto the truck for the trip to the border.

Still no word and yes I am beginning to worry. I am hoping everything is fine but I just don't know.

I have posted this in the hope someone may know somebody at Thong Lor or immigration who can help me make sure she arrives safely.

My friends in Mae Sot will take care of things when she arrives but it's the journey in between that has me concerned.

If anyone can offer any assistance a PT will be greatly appretiated.

Bust :xmascheer

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you ask anyone at the prison or Thong Lor yourself? maybe a few well placed Bhat might help. How is this person going to contact you? I am assuming she has no money or phone. It is possible if you make enough inquiry, they may fear a problem, and tell you something.

Do you have any contact info for her family in Burma? Best of luck to you.

The prison has been contacted and confirmed her release to Thong Lor. That's as far as I could find out.

She had money in her property which again could prove more of a liability than an asset. She has my number and a mutual friend's number in BKK.

I have contacts for her in Burma but once she is there she will be safe.

bust,

I know we have already discussed this matter privately, but just another quick note to say...Good luck with it all.

My fingers are crossed and my thoughts are with you.....and your friend.

Let's hope all goes well and she arrives safely... Things move slowly in LOS...you know that...she may well still be in the Immi "monkey house"....waiting for them to fill the truck... they wouldn't send just 1 "passenger"...

I hope some one has a contact and can put you in touch with somebody who can answer your concerns...

Not knowing where they are is soul destroying...I know as well, more than most!!

Hang in mate, hopefully it will all end well

Cheers DS

Why Thong Lor? What's at Thong Lor? The famous black metal 'free bus' to Mae Sot always leaves from Suan Phlu, as far as I know (maybe my info is out of date?). There's usually some amount of processing and waiting at Suan Phlu, so it wouldn't surprise me if she was still there. I can't guarantee what the situation is these days, but in the past Thailand only did 400 fully-documented formal deportations with handover per month - if your girl is to be included in this (and as a convicted criminal, it would make sense that they would actually want her out and want to document it) maybe they'd keep her until the next formal handover is scheduled. (The tens of thousands of other Burmese deportations were and perhaps are still informal, usually but not always just dropped at the edge of the Moei, given to DKBA, or - as you're aware - put to work in a factory or fields for a while. This last possibility can be forced, or can be voluntary, a way for the deportee to build some funds for the return to Bangkok).

I recommend contacting a suitably dodgy lawyer in Bangkok who does criminal and immigration work for foreigners (perhaps for africans?), and see if he can pry some info from the BiBs at Suan Phlu.

Good luck - at least she's out, right? One step at a time...

YimSiam

Thanks for the words of support.

Thong Lor I am guessing because that is where she was originally held. I would also at a guess say it will be a formal handover. There still is of course the option that the Indian guy has exercised his right to have her charged under Burmese law once she is deported. Some pretty farked up law that I haven't been able to confirm.

I spoke to a friend from Mae Sot last night and he said he will ask around and see if he can get some assistance from a friend at the UNHCR office.

bust,

most likely thong lor would let her walk or she'd be handed over to the immigration detention center at suan phlu to be deported - i'd be very surprised if thong lor had anything to do with deporting her directly. with a criminal sheet and a real name attached to her, it shouldn't be difficult to find her in the records there, if someone has a connection.

cheers, keep us posted when you have some news -

YimSiam

Ok the latest is Thong Lor did not receive her even though the Gaol said that was where she was sent.

Suan Phlu seems the logical next step but my friend cannot seem to get anyone to even answer the phone.

He will try again today.

Archived