With so many Brits murdered in Thailand, why doesn't Gov warn us?

Fidel

I wonder how other countries that have a lot of tourists come here would compare?

Not the "murder capitals" like Columbia or the US but Germany or Norway.

I think tourists tend to be a high risk group for crime; teenage girls wander deserted beaches alone at night, middle aged men go to places they don't know and strip naked in the company of strangers...

Hardly low risk activities.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You hear over and over again from farangs that they "feel safer" in Thailand but however they "feel" the statistics show they're not safer.

"Andy Pearce, the deputy head of mission at the British Embassy in Bangkok, admits that the murder rate of Britons resident in Thailand is about the same as the domestic Thai rate â?? roughly five times higher than in the UK â?? but adds that this is only an estimate."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article3326545.ece

I think the reason that people feel safer in Thailand is because there are not so many antisocial thugs walking around the streets abusing people. Instead antisocial thugs go around on motorbikes so unless you're actually a victim you'd be less likely to notice them.

Maybe it also has to do with the type of Brits who visit LOS?

Before anyone gets their "Knickers in a bunch" I'm not saying all Brits in LOS are Thugs but certainly there are quite a few of those types roaming Pattaya and BKK. :)

I haven't looked at any stats or the specifics of any of the murder cases but it would make sense to me that people who frequent LOS for the nightlife may end up being killed more frequently than Mom & Pop who visit the States with the kids. :o

You are dealing with the seedy side of life. Whores, their boyfriends, their husbands, drug dealers, etc.

Want to play it safe, go to Sweden :)

I come to LOS because I like the seedy side and know the dangers that come with it.

That article is a great example of how to make money by reporting on old news.

BTW Toby Charnaud was a poster on Nanaplaza. His story appeared on this board - and won the short story contest a few years ago. Some of us had met him at Gullibles.

Nothing better than a timely reminder though.

Though have to declare an interest as i helped out Andrew S with background and pics.

Nobody gets rich by working for the Independent - or even The Times.

I think he is understating number of Brits visiting Thailand. Last year FCO wr quoting nearer to 800,000 per yr.

And he certainly knows where Nana Plaza is. V nice chap though by all account. Looked after his wife long after they were divorced so his murder was all the more surprising.

As I said before, then just stay home. Imagine if the blokes from the East India Company were concerned about a slight percent rise in some obscure crime rate? I mean, really, what was it five people died in seven years or something like that? Who gives a fuck? If you do, then, PLEASE, do us all a favour and stay the fuck home!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

SD

"On average, about 50 civilian UK nationals are murdered around the world each year (excluding terrorist attacks). This means that almost 10 per cent of all murders of Britons abroad are committed in Thailand â?? a chilling figure, given that Thailand comprises only 0.6 per cent of all foreign travel from UK shores."

This is a relevant comparison. I don't know anything about the veracity of the figures, but the comparison makes sense.

This is an old argument here, and no one (at least not me) is suggesting that we all flee Thailand, but the fact is that Thailand is more dangerous than its peaceful and serene surface suggests. Overall, the homocide rate here is substantially higher than in the US. Those are the facts about living here; what you choose to do about it and, if you live here, how you live your life here is, as they say, "up to you".

My only suggestion is this: don't try to fool yourself by dismissing facts you don't like with cliches about statistics.

Archived