With so many Brits murdered in Thailand, why doesn't Gov warn us?

Fidel

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just reading the article, 17 in 4 years killed, so 4.25 a year, 420 000 Brits travelling per year,

Not knowing length of stay, I guess 2 weeks?

4.25 x 26 = 110.5 to make it a per year rate.

Brit rate is 2.1 per 100 000

so rate of 26 per 100 000 when in Thailand

Hmmm - it is a little jump I guess.

On another subject Toby was a real nice guy, a sweetheart, quite liked him though we met only a few times in person.

The tourist murders are played up, rightfully so. I don't think there have been that many. You're right about the majority of dead being expats, or in Toby Charnaud's case a former expat. (He came back on a visit and his ex-wife whacked him in an effort to gain custody of their son and thus Toby's money.)

Just reading the article, 17 in 4 years killed, so 4.25 a year, 420 000 Brits travelling per year,

Not knowing length of stay, I guess 2 weeks?

4.25 x 26 = 110.5 to make it a per year rate.

Brit rate is 2.1 per 100 000

so rate of 26 per 100 000 when in Thailand

Hmmm - it is a little jump I guess.

On another subject Toby was a real nice guy, a sweetheart, quite liked him though we met only a few times in person.

CTO

Go and do you maths

The article stated since 2003 are you paying attention 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, that is 5 years which makes it 3.4 per annum. As I previously pointed out at least 75% of the victims are long term expats either past or present.

So to apply your calculation it works out at 5.2 per 100,000 not 26 as you stated, OK admittedly nearly 2.5 times higher than the UK average but when people are on vacation they tend to let their guard down / imbibe in more alcohol than usual so as such the statistics are not as frightening as first percieved.

Facts don't sell newspapers, sensationalism does.

I didn't count 2003 as the article said "Since" 2003, that means after 2003 I thought?

I didn't factor the 75% reference, forgot you mentioned it.

I also wonder if these numbers are duplicated in the British stats?

Thai national death rate is 8.7, how many Brits living in Thailand? Then we could work out the rate in Thailand Vs Thais in Thailand.

CTO,

Statistics are put forward very loose, I read it to mean "since the begining of 2003" ie including that year, my interpritation may be incorrect, the facts are unclear.

As for the number of Brits living in Thailand I am sure that the figure is unknown, what would be the basis to ascertain the actual numbers?

Visa's

Embassey Registrations

House Books

Its as clear as mud, I have many friends who have been Thai based for over 10 years, wife kids home etc but work say a 28 / 28 cylce and only "come home" one a 30 VOA card so they would only appear as tourists.

I just like pulling statistics to bits, humour me.

"Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics!"

They can say whatever you want them to say.

Don Herold once said: "If I had my life to live over, I would dare to make more mistakes next time. I would relax, limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously and take more chances. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets. I would, perhaps, have more actual troubles but I would have fewer imaginary ones."

Cheers,

SD

Archived