Jobs That You've Had in Thailand

louisxander

I went through the whole "being an English teacher" thing before I found my way into a decent career. Teaching provided an income, but not much of one. I was able to stay in S.E. Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam), but that was about it.

Anyone else have a story about odd jobs that they took just so that they could stay in Thailand? Was it a good experience or a horror story? I've got plenty of the later. .

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the latter, I suppose you mean. Cheers for making a go with the website, the header pics are very nice -- the look of the site is quality, but it's got to be matched by the content, including stuff as simple as running a spellcheck, if you want us to check in on a regular basis!

I think I took an approach to getting to Asia that you might approve of - once I decided that I wanted to spend some time over here, I looked into careers and education that would serve me well. Rather than come immediately and teach English, I went back to the States, worked and studied for about five or six years, got my professional degree and relevant experience, and have been able to work in a great job - throughout Asia - for the past five years. It can happen, but it takes planning, not just a plan ticket and a TEFL certificate in your back pocket (though that might be your thing - it wasn't mine).

I'll leave it to others to reply with 'blow', 'hand', etc...

YimSiam

Thanks for checking out my site YimSiam. It's just a hobby right now, but I'm trying to turn it into something with a respectable amount of quality.

Yeah. When I look back, I think the route you took is the preferable one. However, I have found that the experience/knowledge that I picked up from being in the region for so long is useful in my current job (adverts). Perhaps I simply went through a different kind of education.

BTW: I think you meant "plane ticket" not "plan ticket." Spell-check not lest ye be spell-checked.

I went through the whole "being an English teacher" thing before I found my way into a decent career.

so you made a decent career in SEA or at home? you did not tell the story!

i was actually sent here by my employer. i did not have the intention before to come here for work. however i changed my job in the meanwhile and stayed in the region...

I passed through LOS in 2000, on my way to live and work in Australia for a year. I got hooked on Thailand, moved from Sydney to Hua Hin and got a job teaching English in a Catholic school.

My next job was as an English language trainer at a a 5-star resort.

After 3 years teaching English in Thailand, I decided I needed to do something more challenging/well paid.

I went back to Uni for a year and ended up working with the government of Laos' National Economic Research Institute for a while.

Now in Pakistan, but visiting LOS multiple times per year, saving some decent cash and planning a return to the region I love in a better paid position with better prospects than when I first decided to make LOS my home over 7 years ago.

In Feb 92 I was transferred from my position in Taiwan to be office manager (QS company) in Bangkok. :)

Company went bust a year later, owing me about Baht 900,000. :sad:

Set up a new company with the help of a couple of other guys working in related fields. :)

Closed down in September 97 due to the Asian economic crash. :sad:

Never made much money but had a good time doing it. :)

Finally left LOS for Dubai in April 99.

samak,

I was able to land a job as a AD in an advertising agency in Viet Nam and subsequently worked in Hong Kong and L.O.S.

"Decent career" is relative, I guess. While I'm not making six figures, I'm comfortable and have enough marketable experience that I can choose where I want to work.

Was project coordinator for a big multinational company in Asia from 2002 to 2004, I asked to be based in BKK.

Was a great time :grin:

Then in 2006: Was project manager for a subsidiary of the same company, as I was hired only for the project (1 year) I opened in the same time a small business to test the waters and see if it would be wise to invest more.

I luckily pulled my shares in time (with a small profit) and decided to go back to Europe as I was offered a good position.......

Archived