Feature: Burma fears Rambo

Flashermac

Rambo was among the first movies featuring a Vietnam vet, and served as a terrible "example" or representation of Vietnam vets, and helped fuel a lot of the misunderstandings of the vets, and the way they were perceived. This occurred at a time when people were still coming to terms with it all, and vets were desperately trying to "re-assimilate."

Characters like Rambo portrayed them as loose canons and nut cases who couldn't fit into society. Add to that Stallone's draft dodging and it was insult to injury. If you liked the movie, fine, but to me it was crap. But then I hate exaggerated "action" movies.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

i have a good friend, an ex tank reg soldier, saw no serious action. guarding against the commies in germany mostly, however told me of the game freckles. one squaddie does a big dump on the table another slams his beer glass on it, whoever gets splattered with the most crap drinks all of the pints on the table!.....so nut jobs exist in the armed forces, in the uk anyway!

Guest lazyphil

i respect your view OH and it saddens me to hear the truth of stallone running away to sweden etc. however, why should anyone really care in the west about the karen, i doubt your average thai next door gives a hoot are they exempt because they're brown in colour and know no better and we should. sorry if that sounds a bit off at you its not meant too.

Forrest Gump...not really about Vietnam, but the scenes were not really offensive. The book was a lot different than the movie (though I doubt the average Rambo fan can read)painted him more as a hick and a redneck/bigot...but hey Hollywood fucks up everything.

Couple of points...Rambo was nowhere near the first movie to feature Viet vets. First Blood came out in 82...years after films like Coming Home and The Deer Hunter explored Vets returning from the war. Also, therefore many years after they had started trying to assimilate. So I don't think those are fair charges.

As to the current Burma situation and the films impact...probably the most worthwhile part of the film is the very first 3 minutes which show newsreel style footage (which may be real) of actual atrocities committed. This, if nothing else, should convince moviegoers that this is a real place.

I got taken to a stupid tear jerker by a Thai gal in Bangkok in 1973 that was about a woman whose husband was MIA in RVN. She'd fallen madly in love with another Air Farce occifer, when her husband suddenly showed up alive - having escaped from captivity. That was the same year the American troops completed their withdrawal from RVN.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Rambo IIII last night...

Shit copy, but I ENJOYED it!

Very graphic....

However, it is about time someone made an attempt to present a vivid picture of the atrocities being committed there.

We all mourn the millions of Cambodians killed by the Khmer Rouge...

Something similar is going on right now in Burma.. and hardly anyone gives a flying fark.

Archived