Feature: Burma fears Rambo

Flashermac

Any publicity for the Karen and to greater extent the Burmese is good publicity.

On one hand, you are right. On the other hand, having this ass lick promote your cause might not be so good, and the true cause of the Karen might be lost in the Hollywood bullshit.

BUT, Stallone does have the ear of some right wingers in this country, and they love to arm people and "help" people, so who knows. I do wish the Karen all the luck.

Send me some info on the back pack medics if you can.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK anti Stallone shit aside...on a relatyed note, there is a movie called "Salvador" which did a good job of nailing down many events of the revolt down there, well done. Said that to say this, a flick of that type about the Karen might be what calls attention to their plight.

i know stallone is hated and mocked here but i for one cant wait to see rambo feb 22 at the cinema with about 6 mates all in our mid 30's, bunch of kids :) (i can tell em' all how i trekked the thai/burma jungle region for 6 days 10 years ago :smirk: )......has to be an improvement on rambo 3 which was pretty dire but if anything as good as first blood, they'll be no complaints.

Don't worry Phil, my DVD library contains the full Rocky collection, the first three Rambos... my Mrs loves R2 with the the sexy Viet girl in it, and a few others as well. Don't tell anyone else here but I have a few of Arnies as well.

<< my Mrs loves R2 with the the sexy Viet girl in it >>

Is that the one where he falls in love with the gal, which automatically means she has to die? If so, she's half-Brit half-Chinese. Doesn't look Vietnamese at all. My old neighbour taught her at the international school in Singapore.

I start by admitting I am a fan of Stallone...particularily the Rocky series. Not so much Rambo, but I did really enjoy the 2nd Rambo (the first came out when I was too young to understand)

Regarding Stallone himself, it seems most of the hatred comes from Vietnam vets who believe he was a draft dodger.

Sly himself took this issue head on recently in a very frank and revealing week of questions by fams on a site called aintitcoolnews.com He is the only celebrity to repeatedly do this and his answers were very down to earth and sometimes brave (he did this for a full month before the last Rocky came out) Those of you with a thing against him should check out those question and answer sessions.

As for the movie itself (which I saw opening weekend in the States) I have mixed feelings. Wonderful that it shows the atrocities of the Burmese, sad that it was done so mindlessly. The Burmese soldiers in the film are cartoon characters...just evil, with no motivation shown. They just torture and kill so that we, the audience, can cheer when Rambo mows them down.

But, I would imagine event he worst Burmese offender believes he is the good guy. So much more interesting if we could see that side of it as well.

Also, the Rambo character goes through something of an evolution in the film from cyncial to hopeful...even though he was really correct at the beginning. Rambo changes nothing in the situation in Burma...he just saves a few white people.

I'm not sure that Stallone really gets Rambo anymore. Rambo is a solitary chracter who hates the establishment who has abandoned him and his men. If anything, you would think Rambo would particularily hate what the Bush admin has done to our troops in Iraq...yet I ge the feeling that the opposite is true in Stallone's mind.

In any case, this film has tons of action with countless bodies with huge holes blown in them, so if that's your thing...you will enjoy yourself.

For the first time since I was 12 years old, Rambo is a HERO again! Cool!

I'm getting all nostalgic..

And what a cause!

I was over in Umphang province a while back.

We traveled with refugees in a song thaew.

Later we had a rented driver, who's pick up had a Karen National Union sticker on it, according to him, to ensure he could move freely around the border areas.

Cool place.

Most beautiful place I've been in Thailand.

"...Regarding Stallone himself, it seems most of the hatred comes from Vietnam vets who believe he was a draft dodger.

Sly himself took this issue head on recently in a very frank and revealing week of questions ... Those of you with a thing against him should check out those question and answer sessions..."

Blah blah...I am well aware of what he says NOW Fact is, it is now convenient to say all this crap, before when it was convenient and fashionable to say the opposite, he said and did that. Just like a bullshitting politician. Maybe he should run for office? oh wait, he is a moron, and no moron actor can hold office or be president...ooops, yes they can ask Arnie and Ronnie...

My dislike for him comes on many fronts, no, I am not a Vietnam era Vet. Part of why I hate him so much is because he capitalized on the very thing he fled to Sweden to be against, that and the way he portrays Vietnam vets a psychos. Sort of like all these rappers who get rich and famous rapping about killing cops, and how cops suck (they do) and then go and play a cop in the movies...lousy sell outs...

The "Rambo" character, is an insult, it portrays a seriously fucked up guy who can be manipulated/exploited by the "system" who is a fool to keep going back for more.

Additionally, I dislike him for his crap movies, other than Rocky 1 which I did enjoy.

*IF* this movie does give any attention/help to the Karen/Burmese people than o.k. I will give him props for that, but as I said I seriously doubt it will. Sadly, most Americans will think it is just a movie, and there is no such place as Burma, and no such people as Karen, all just part of the flick...sad but true...

Of course if he blows shit up, and utters a few catch phrases, maybe it will be a hit...sad this is the best cinema we can export, and the only way we can allow ourselves to be seen by the rest of the world...maybe the DVD is banned in Burma because Stallone is such a load?

BTW, I am equally annoyed by the Chuck Norris Vietnam movies as well. Why do we need to have all these "Super soldiers" doing super human shit in a movie about Vietnam? everyone knows we lost, we look like the propaganda fools hyping it in this manner...

Hmmm...just wondering who I hate more, Stallone or Tom Cruise...OR JOHN TRAVOLTA?

For the first time since I was 12 years old, Rambo is a HERO again! Cool!

I'm getting all nostalgic..

And what a cause!

I was over in Umphang province a while back.

We traveled with refugees in a song thaew.

Later we had a rented driver, who's pick up had a Karen National Union sticker on it, according to him, to ensure he could move freely around the border areas.

Cool place.

Most beautiful place I've been in Thailand.

I have driven from BKK to Mae Sot maybe 15 times and never really even know much about the place. Just seen it on the map. You have inspired me to take the time next trip and visit.

How is the road and did you encounter many checkpoints?

Archived