Dumbing Down of Britain?

Hugh_Hoy

I hope the results of the survey noted below are the result of uncontrolled immigration:

LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

I wonder how many Americans think Noar (captain of the arc) existed?

Just for fun, and without looking them up, sort out the real from the imaginary from this list:

King Arthur, Sir Lancelot, Tintagel Castle, Merlin, Robin Hood, Maid Marion and Fiar Tuck.

I wonder how many Americans think Noar (captain of the arc) existed?

Just for fun, and without looking them up, sort out the real from the imaginary from this list:

King Arthur, Sir Lancelot, Tintagel Castle, Merlin, Robin Hood, Maid Marion and Fiar Tuck.

Don't get me started on the bullshit with Noah's Arc. However, I believe the idiot running the show here believes in it all, and has discarded the scientific proof otherwise. And while we are at it, don't get me started on the bigger idiots who still support this fool.

i wonder how many people were polled and what their ages were?.

History in UK schools has just about been thrown out the window over the last few Years.

the Government deemed it was not that important and this poll reflects the decision.

but i wonder about the Churchill and Biggles answers.

anybody in the age range of 50-80 would know that Churchill was real and Biggles was a character in a book.

but i wonder how many kids read books in this day and age?.

computer games seem to be the desired entertainment of the day.

i was a keen reader as a child and even read a few Biggles books.

these days i don't have time to even read a newspaper when at work but i spend time at home on the internet just reading all sorts of things.

i still have an appetite to learn at the age of 47.

if i had Teenage kids i would make sure they studied hard on British history.

i love the history of the UK and like to watch all the programmes on TV about it.

and books by David Starkey and Simon Schama are a delight to read.

i have travelled all the UK visiting places with historical factors.

and in defererence to Mr.Munchmaster i have spent many a day in Scotland learning about it's ancient history and that of the Vikings.

i live in a town which has existed since before Roman times and i love to visit to places that are historic.

i could take a 10 minute walk right now and visit the house where Churchill and Roosevelt sat down and planned D-Day.

but my 25 Year old neighbour has no idea that this place exists.....very sad.

and his wife is even worse.

we have HMS Victory in our town which is still the flagship of the British Navy.

this Girl grew up within 15 Minutes walk of the ship and had no idea it is there.

all she knows about is the horrible shopping centre built around the ship.

My daughter goes to a English International school here, while I think the quality isn't great, she does 1/2 - 1 hour home work a night, she's in grade one, 1 for the illiterate.

She does spelling and reading and maths every night, words that stump me sometimes I'm not too proud to admit.

If she's following the English Welsh curriculum, then you have nothing to fear UK.

HOWEVER the problem is I (ME) has to spend the 1/2 - 1 hour with her, maybe that's what's lacking in UK? Parents who have the time?

Archived