John Denver karaoke sparks Thai killing spree

Mekong

A gunman in Thailand shot-dead eight neighbours, including his brother-in-law, after tiring of their karaoke versions of popular songs, including John Denverâ??s Country Roads.

Weenus Chumkamnerd, 52, put his gun to the head of a respected female doctor and seven of her guests as they partied at her home in Songkhla Province, South Thailand.

"When I began shooting nobody pleaded for his life because they were all drunk," he said after his arrest.

advertisement

He said he was so furious with their awful singing that he did not notice he had murdered his own brother-in-law.

"I warned these people about their noisy karaoke parties. I said if they carried on I would go down and shoot them. I had told them if I couldnâ??t talk sense into them I would come back and finish them off," he added.

Mr Chumkamnerd, who works as a rubber tapper, was arrested after going on the run after his killing spree in the townn of Hat Yai, near the Malaysian border.

The doctor who was hosting the party, Dr Suthathip Thammachart, 36, was the director of a local hospital who was due this month to get an award for her services to medicine.

One of the revellers survived by playing dead, convincing the gunman that he too had been killed.

When he realised he had shot his brother-in-law, Boontip Desaro, Mr Chumkamnerd said he was filled with remorse.

He got his son to take Boontip to hospital, but he was already dead.

A neighbour said that the karaoke group normally sang Thai pop and southern Thai ballads, but one particular western tune could be heard often - John Denverâ??s â??Country Roadsâ??.

Country Roads is a hugely popular song in south east Asia andthe neighbour said the revellers had been singing it over and over again.

Link

Holy shit.

Reminds me of the Karaoke incident in Hua Hin a few years ago, where some guy was hogging the machine in a bar. He was threatened with a shooting by another customer but continued. The annoyed customer left and returned with a gun. The first shot penetrated the wall and hit the cook, the second shot hit the singer in the chest and the third was to the head to finish him off.

Just unbelievable and trajic.....

How sa sad for all the families

you don't understand! that is supposed to be funny! :neener:

John Denver also was singing this song too often and had to die, like those guys!

and then:

"When I began shooting nobody pleaded for his life because they were all drunk," :drunk::rotl:

"He said he was so furious with their awful singing that he did not notice he had murdered his own brother-in-law" :stupid::rotl:

" I had told them if I couldnâ??t talk sense into them I would come back and finish them off," :bangit: :rotl:

"One of the revellers survived by playing dead" :bow::rotl:

<< Country Roads is a hugely popular song in south east Asia >>

I don't recall ever hearing it sung in any karaoke bar or nightclub.

:hmmm:

The proles near my old apartment did play the same Hank Williams tape over and over for 48 hours one NY Eve though.

Strange that a respected doctor had a rubber tapper for a neighbour!

:confused:

he is about as insane as those singing karaoke for hours!

during new year holiday i wanted to enjoy the peaceful nature in northern thailand. but then a group of thais showed up in their pickups, unloading huge loudspeakers ans starting to sing Karaoke and drinking for several hours. i was thinking how to bring a end to this nuisance...fortunately i stayed patience as they were - as i found out later - a group of policemen from Phattananikom!

Hum

There is a condominium complex across my street with one place renter by a pack of Peruvian people.

Seems that every saturday they feel the need to gather there and sing karaoke......

IT IS SO DAMN LOUD that I can not sleep (with the fact that they keep the windows wide open and they must have a very powerful sound system)

I am tired of their damn Peruvian songs.....and I am not the only one. (police did nothing and this has been on for months as neighbours told me)

I would not be too suprised if someone shot these people too......

PS: Murder is a bit too extreme, maybe just destroying their sound system would be fine.

Archived