late night venues

aesthete

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On February 26th, 2008 there has been an article in The Nation the interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung asking Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin to help enforcing the 2:00am closing of entertainment venues. All places opening found open after 2:00am will face ultimately closing.

Then the there has been reshuffle of the senior police officers and just one week later all late night venues â?? except Spicy â?? had to close at 2:00am latest. Even the hotel clubs like Angels or CM2. The taxi drivers around the clubs â?? Tunnel, Spice â?? all blame it on the new police chief of Lumpini Station. Asking them how long this early closure will last they grimace and shrug with shoulders. Some refer that orders come directly from the top; aka Chalerm. Thatâ??s the situation in Bangkok for almost 2 weeks now.

My friend has been down to Pattaya and told me that since last Wednesday the Marine, Insomnia and Marine 2 were also forced to close earlier (~3:00am).

Is anybody in Pattaya who know whether this is still going on?

BTW I don't think we have to worry that the police reads this board when disclosing some late night clubs. All these places pay off the police and the BIB definitely know which places are open late.

BTW I don't think we have to worry that the police reads this board when disclosing some late night clubs. All these places pay off the police and the BIB definitely know which places are open late.

Ya, but it IS about face. If things are too public, then the MiB tend to get cranky.

Cheers,

SD

The first crusade has been conducted by Purachai, a conservative moralist. He fought his own war against all kind of vices and once he has been transferred from the interior minister post, things slowly loosened up again. Over the last 18 months of military rule more clubs than ever opened until dawn. Bangkokâ??s nightlife improved a lot - actually has been better than ever.

Unfortunately the new guys in power seem to see it differently and initiated another social order crusade. Honestly, I donâ??t understand the reasons behind this new round of early closures. Neither does this curbs prostitution as the bars arenâ??t (as of now) affected nor does it have any influence on drug consumption as most are consumed on private parties anyway. Apart of being a pain in the ass it just hurts Bangkokâ??s image as a nightlife and tourist destination.

I just donâ??t see any gain for the new government from starting this nonsense again. May be some fellow board member scan enlighten me and tell what is all behind it.

Despite most of Bangkokâ??s population wonâ??t be out after 2:00am often and thus hardly be affected I donâ??t see why they should support such idiotic measures. If one day they want party â?? and I think everybody does it from time to time â?? this nonsense prevents them from having a good time. Further I personally don't think that anyone likes governments who implement restrictive measures. Even if you arenâ??t affected in one case, another rule might bother you.

I am just puzzled that this government wastes its time with such nonsense while on the other end huge economical and political problems would require their full commitment and occupation. If this shit continues, I am seriously considering to finally leave the country. I won't sit another 2-3 years at the foodstalls on the sidewalks of Sukhumvit amongst all the low lives and scumbags.

It is the typical conservative middle class who are the audience for the measures. The payoffs for the Bangkokians, if you will. The Issanites get the *promises* of riches, and the Bangkokians get the promise of a moral place to live.

Don't knock it. I do know of what I speak. It is in the Thai press a lot. It was in Purachai's time, and it is starting to be seen again. It is a very popular program (except with us, that is LOL).

Cheers,

SD

Archived