US veteran duped in condo scam

elef

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

What is the significance of the fact that the guy is a Vietnam vet?

Sanuk!

Come on, it was during Vietnam that Pattaya and Soi Cowboy were born, places like Ubon Ratchathani got a major injection into their ecconomy due to the US Air bases. There are many 40 something Luk Kruengs in Thailand nowadays who were sired by troops on R'n'r from nam, many retirees or people who chose to stay on from that period and now live / work in Thailand (including certain board members) are nam vets.

Vietnam had a major influence on Thailand in many ways and can be rather emotive to many Thais. Even though I was not here then I do see and here stories about the influence that nam had on lives. My father in law often tells me that before nam he was a poor man just about keeping his head above the water to support his family, when the USAF opened their Air Force base in Ubon he saw his opportunity and made his millions which he used to give his kids the education he had never been afforded. My mother in laws sister met a Canadian who was working as a civvie ATC pushing tin, post nam they have lived in Japan Australia and then Canada before choosing to retire in Thailand. Through marriage I have Luk Krueng cousins who live in Vancouver as a result of nam.

Vietnam was very significant to a lot of Thais and helped influence / shape their current day life, this is just my own experiences but I am sure similar tales could be recounted 1,000's of times over.

This doesn't seem to be a simple case of a dummy who paid too much for something. It seems the seller supplied false information on the valuation which was fraudulent, broke Thai laws, and there is solid enough evidence for the police to make an arrest as well as receiving death threats from the seller he has by the balls over it. So by all accounts he actually did try to cover himself before plopping down the cash and rather than chalking it up as a learning experience seems to be on the road to recovering the cash.

Hey, this was in The Nation, which demands unbelievably high standards of its Thai journalist staff.

:rolleyes:

The fact that the guy is a VN vet has no bearing on anything. He's a retired army occifer, and at his age I'd be surprised if he didn't serve in Vietnam. But the swifty who came up with the headline thought it would look cool to say so.

:p

Most of my American friends of that age range are also vets, like as not VN vets. My father once told me how he used to get pissed off in the 1950s whenever anyone did anything wrong and the papers would identify them as a WWII veteran. Back then almost EVERYBODY was a WWII vet of one side or the other. It would be newsworthy if they weren't.

:dunno:

Archived