Nana Plaza to be demolished

PhilAnders

Is calling me Bizarro Bibblies a complment?

I'm happy that so many people don't like Patpong. After all it means there are less sex tourist fuckwits in the place, which is fine by me. However I don't go to Patpong for the same sex mongering reasons that you and others go there so I'm not up to date with the state of the gogos or the upstairs bars. But I do know that most of the upstairs bars are OK and from past experience when they have tried to rip me off I have walked out without repercussions.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....4. Annoying touts and taxi situation. (Yes, Munchie, I cross the road to Silom, McDonalds side, but why the fuck should I have to? :dunno: )....

So what, it's not a big issue is it. However if you want to pay 200 Baht then do so.

P.S. I wasn't aware that 'this' was "a long standing, well-known, disagreement"?! You don't like PP, I do. What's the disagreement?

If not for passionate discussions about PP vs. NEP, we wouldn't have much to talk about here (other than toilets and bad comedy), would we?

I usually arrive by BTS, Silom side, and depart by taxi in front of McDonalds, Suriwong side. Is that permissible, or am I being scammed? Cuz I'll put up with just about anything, and drink in the company of the worst Britain has to offer, as long as I'm not being scammed.

Thanks.

No point really, just rambling...

If there is a point it's about people complaining about rip-offs in Patpong and petty scams in general. I couldn't care less about anyone's preferred bar area, but when someone yells 'SCAM' over the price of a drink in an upstairs bar in one of the world's most notorious nightlife places, it's like pushing the laugh button on me, and I've sat at a table and had a gun held to my forehead over a bogus bartab in South America when I was young and stupider.

The over-used word SCAM just makes me laugh, sorry about that.

I'm happy that so many people don't like Patpong. After all it means there are less sex tourist fuckwits in the place, which is fine by me. However I don't go to Patpong for the same sex mongering reasons that you and others go there so I'm not up to date with the state of the gogos or the upstairs bars. But I do know that most of the upstairs bars are OK and from past experience when they have tried to rip me off I have walked out without repercussions.

So first you call me a "clueless idiot", now "clueless" yet you admit yourself that you're not up-to-date with the upstairs bars!!! Now you say that they have tried to rip you off in the past....

I am sorry to say that these bars have been fleecing people for years and will continue to do so. Myself and the other boardmember are fairly experienced visitors to LOS but even we can get caught out every now and then.

I also admire your bravado in "just walking out", you could of been another casuaulty statistic - frankly I doubt whether we would of made it to the door, let alone down the flight of stairs and for the sake of just under 900 baht, I would rather cut my losses than cause any aggreviation in a foreign country....it's just not worth it.

No, it's just saying that you seem to be the opposite of me in virtually every opinion and like/dislike I've seen expressed.

You weren't in Foodland, Sukhumvit Soi 5, last night, by any chance, were you? I saw a character who looked just like Robbie Coltrane. :)

Bibs, as you say soi Cowboy would be a far better candidate for development than NEP due to its location. Thats worried me slightly for quite a few years as I've mentioned previously it by far my favourite of the 3 areas. And I would be sorry to see Cowboy go.

Soi Cowboy does occupy desirable real estate. This may help explain why bar owners are investing money to fix up bars on Soi Cowboy â?? something you donâ??t see much of in NEP. You donâ??t see much of anything in NEP these days.

You have a point about Soi Cowboyâ??s locale possibly leading to serious, and not necessarily positive, changes on Soi Cowboy. But right now the changes we are seeing are renovated bars (less mold and more neon and chrome), a relaxed showing policy (compared to NEP), and, of course, higher prices.

The tower at the MRT entrance on the Asoke side of Soi Cowboy is near completion. There is also pedestrian overpass over Asoke that will soon be completed, but I cannot tell if it will connect to the new tower (that may happen later, when constructing one will be more inconvenient.) For now, however, the area is developing.

Nonetheless, n many ways, the geography of the NEP area is better for an entertainment district. NEP itself is a dump and potential deathtrap, but the Soi 4 area seems better suited to a bar scene. Soi 4 is big enough to accommodate more places but not positioned at a major transit junction for all the world to see what goes on. It has more hotels and restaurants, although may be changing.

If the showing policies changed, I think NEP could and would do much better. But I am not holding my breath for that to happen. I am visiting Soi Cowboy.

Archived