Singapore Travel for Thai Nationals

Ckrisg

SD, is that true for Thais entering all ASEAN countries? I had heard there were some exceptions.

A passport is required; correct? (I know local Thai's can get a short term border pass for Cambodia without a passport but not sure about Laos, Malaysia and Burma.)

The ladies usually get a 14 day entry "visa" to Singapore.

Once the 14 days are up, they take the bus across the causeway to Jahor Bahru, Malaysia and then back in to Singapore.

At times, the working ladies are asked to show $$$ when they enter Singapore or an exit air ticket, but not too often.

yes totally visa free for tourist purposes meaning suspected hookers obviously will be denied entry!

A visa just means that you can show up at the immigration desk and try to get in -- it is NOT a permit to enter the country, just a pre-vetting. It is up to the immigration officer to let you in and for how long, tho' there are guidelines (i.e., the 30 days for ASEAN nationals). The immi officer is the king of his little world and can deny entry for any reason. Therefore, any ASEAN national has the right to present himself to the immi officer at any other ASEAN country and that officer has *guidelines* to let them pass for 30 days. But guidelines are not rules, so he can knock them back for any reason at all, or shorten (or even lengthen) the duration of stay and there's nothing you can do about it. This holds true for all countries and all nationalities. Just because you have a visa (or can show up visa free) does NOT mean you can get into a country.

Dddave, passports are always required for travel AFAIK (some rare exceptions for citizens of provinces neighboring Cambo & Burma for day shopping trips).

Cheers,

SD

SD,

I am not sure about now but a few years ago the wife crossed over the friendship bridge with me into Laos and got an emtry permit at the checkpoint just buy showing her ID card (she forget her passport), I think this was valid for travel as far inland as Vientenne.

Also over in Ubon Ratchathi it is possible to travel into laos with ID, but this may only be valid holders of Ubon issed ID cards. Farangs are not supposed to use that crossing but it pays to have family contacts at such places.

Archived