Skytrain to airport update

soiarrai

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was never going to be an extension from the Sukhumvit line to the airport AFAIK.. Is soi 107 long enough to reach the line the have built?

I really think the BTS/MRT will need new rolling stock for when this extension opens. They are already heavily used and tourists with luggage standing in the doorway will not go down well.

When BTS first started operation, seats were usually available at some point during the ride.

Now, if I get on at say, Asoke, and ride to On Nut, all the cars are packed and no seats available for the entire ride!

They need to add more cars but the platforms are too short, as maybe they can can 1 ~2 more cars, but that's about it.

Would be better to double the amount of cars, but they can't.

Just another example of poor planning!!! TIT

Don't see many people ending up on the BTS coming from the airport. The only connection will be at the end of the Airport Link line at the Phaya Thai station and it looks like that will be a long walkway into the BTS statison. From there you would have to ride the BTS back to Sukhumvit through 5 stations to get to Asok.

Not sure what the connection to the MRT will be, but from the looks of it now, I suspect it will not be easy.

IMHO this whole thing was a huge waste of money and people will use once, then go back to taxis or personal cars to get to the airport. Once they finish the on/offramps at the Bang Na-Trat elevated to the airport, it is really going to be a breeze to get there from that side.

TH

One of the best train systems in Asia, Japan (IMO) has a speedy train from the airport to Tokyo, but it still has faults...like in Tokyo, difficult to handle youe baggage because many stations don't have elevators or escalators!

Also, at times the trains are fully packed and here you are with baggage! but the Japanese keep jamming on to the train...WTF

I have been about crushed, standing in on the train with a suitcase, absolutely no where to move, but the azzholes keep pushing on to the train.

...and the BTS will be better...don't think so!

That was my point about the BTS when someone else said they would need more rolling stock to take care of the airport passengers that will be riding it. They won't.

How will people get to the MRT station from Makkasan? Looks to me like they will have to go out of the station and walk a bit down the street to get there. Similar to the connections to the BTS at Asok and Sala Daeng. They are really not connections at all, just stations near each other.

BTS, MRT and the Airport Link are all owned by different entities so there is no mechanism to allow direct connections.

TH

Archived