Skytrain to airport update

soiarrai

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at a taxi price of around 240 I wonder where the benefit in this project is . Unless your hotel is within or under Petchaburi station you have to change trains once or twice and still do not arrive in front of your hotel with all the luggage .So far it did never take me longer than 35 minutes to the river from the airport .

Thanks for the information. That is a bit disappointing.

Someone above questioned the benefit of the train. I don't know if it makes economic sense, but if you live in my area (I live in the Farang ghetto, and I am proud of it), having a station near where Ekkamai meets Rama IX would have been great. Unfortunately, what I thought would be a station will be a depot.

For those who like to stay in the lower part of Sukhumvit, however, it appears there is a stop that could make getting to and from the airport easier. The map is probably not drawn to scale, but it appears there is a station near the Petchaburi MRT station. Suadum, you appear to have done some research on this - am I right about the locale of the train station?

Taxis to or from the airport are generally easier if you have luggage, but there are certain times of the day when traffic just doesn't move. I sometimes need to fly down to Singapore or over to Hong Kong for an overnight or day trip (little luggage), and it would be great to know that I can get to the airport on time no matter how bad the traffic is once I get on the BTS or MRT (no problem from my office or home).

Ya, I've researched it because I'm on a bloody plane at least once a week :doah: . The station is on the west side of Asoke at Kampheng Phet 7 (i.e., the small parallel road found between Petchaburi & Rama 9).

The depot (which I thought was the station as it is a big mother, too) is just west of Ekkamai, also along Kampheng Phet 7.

I'm with you. Living in the Japanese ghetto (i.e., Suk soi 39 area), the station doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. It is 20 minutes, 30 max, and B300 if I'm feeling charitable (meter's usually for a taxi to Swampy for me. Way too easy, and the cost is fine with me.

Cheers,

SD

• 9 months later...

The Airport Link from the Phaya Thai and Makkasan areas of downtown Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi airport is set to open for passengers on Aug 12, the birthday of Her Majesty the Queen, deputy Transport Minister Sopon Zarum said on Friday.

He conceded some facilities, including the baggage carousel system, would not be ready on the opening day, but he said he needed to speed up its launch.

The luggage-loading service at Makkasan station would not be operational, so there might be some inconvenience for passengers with heavy bags.

The construction of the 28-km route is 96 per cent complete. There have been delays to work at some stations and route sections due to hold-ups in land acquisitions, said SRT deputy governor Prasert Attanan.

The SRT plans to collect a fare of 150 baht from passengers taking non-stop trains while those travelling on trains that stop at every station will pay between 15 and 45 baht.

Link

I suppose I will never use it except to go welcome a friend at the airport....

If this turns to be the same as the express train here (from the city center to the airport terminals) then it will be packed with backpackers and families....

Time gain? As I always land and head to BKK city center outside the usual traffic jam hours I think I will never feel the need to (maybe?) gain some time...

What about the other board members?

Being involved in this project I can only say that August 12 is - despite being communicated - absolutely unrealistic. The company responsible for operation and maintenance of the trains has not yet (stand 1 week ago) incorporated and thus no budgets are allocated. They have no staff to perform the maintenance let a lone maintenance system in place. If they have been incorporated now and sufficient budget have been allocated the earliest they would be ready to open would December 5th, 2009.

If they pushing for August 12, 2009 they would risk running the train without proper maintenance processes, system and team in place. Unthinkable in the civilized world but after all TIT...

Archived