Skytrain to airport update

soiarrai

Link

10 April, 2008

Bangkok Skytrain on track for December

BANGKOK â?? The long-awaited Bangkok Skytrain to the airport will be functional by December, according to sources in the city.

Travellers will have the option of checking in their luggage at the soon-to-be-opened City Air Terminal (CAT) in the Makkasan area before boarding the rapid train to Suvarnabhumi Airport with their carry-on bags.

The CAT, 270 metres by 70 metres, has three floors where passengers can board a train as well as check in, receive a boarding pass and leave their luggage.

A source says the Makkasan Station is expected to be completed by October this year.

The tracks will allow trains to reach speeds of up to 160kph. Express journeys will take 15 minutes and commuter trips 27 minutes

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travellers will have the option of checking in their luggage at the soon-to-be-opened City Air Terminal (CAT) in the Makkasan area before boarding the rapid train to Suvarnabhumi Airport with their carry-on bags.

I think that should read "Travellers of Airlines who decide to operate check in facilities at CAT" I very much doubt that all aitlines will offer check in facilities at Makkasan.

No reason to think it will not be just fine. I mean, the BTS & subway are excellent, so why not the skytrain to the airport. As far as city bag check-in goes, Hong Kong & Sillypore do that very successfully.

Cheers,

SD -- optimistic

This sounds excellent! Check your bags, get your boarding pass, then kick back and cruise to the airport at 160kph. I am impressed. This will be superior to taking a limo or anything else available today. Not only will the trip be a fraction of the time, but there also won't be the need to pad so much extra time for traffic.

Archived