Oh to be in England

Ckrisg

Found this on Ajarn.com, one of Bangklok Phils thought it needed an update

40 things that I miss about life in England (for the sheer hell of it)

1)Standing outside Gregg's the Bakers eating a hot sausage roll with proper sausage meat in it

53p per sausage roll these days

2) Fields of daffodils and spring lambs

Oh golden days

3) A pint of bitter shandy at some isolated country pub

If you can find one thatâ??s still open

4) The phenomenal selection of quality microwave meals at Tesco Lotus

Tesco Lotus, Tesco Lotus its just Tesco, but its true about the microwave meals

5) Driving through ten villages and knowing that each and every one will have its own identity

Teenage tearaways, stuck up second home owners and no pubs or post office

6) Church bells on a Sunday morning

Alongside the wailings from the Mosque its not quite the same

7) The first frosty morning that's always good for the Brussels sprouts

And for seeing your farts later

8) A lonely train station that sees barely six passengers a day and yet still manages to keep a guy in the ticket office under full employment

Long gone

9) Elderly shop assistants in newsagents and off-licences who address you as 'my love' or 'lover'

Unfortunately they can now be sued for sexual discrimination or harassment for calling you my â??loveâ?? or â??loverâ??

10) Strawberry bon-bons, Jaffa Cakes, Jammy Dodgers and Wagon Wheels. Need I say more?

So true but not seen a Wagon Wheel for a long time

11) Pedestrian crossings that actually function as pedestrian crossings

The British obsession with Traffic laws shall never, never be surrendered

12) Fleeting exchanges with fellow walkers and ramblers such as 'turned out nice again hasn't it?'

Ran into the George Formby appreciatation Society on your last walk then

13) The football pools man

Long gone thanks to the Lottery and several robbing fuc���. Who never posted the entries

14) A 50p each-way bet in the local Ladbrokes and ripping up the slip as 'Lucky Jim' limps in half hour after every other horse

Nothing changes other than I think itâ??s 5 pound minimum these days

15) Shouting up a piece of plaice or haddock when you enter a fish and chip shop

If you can find a Fish and Chip shop amongst all the Indians and Chinese

16) The overwhelming cheerfulness of charity collectors as they shake their tins

And piss themselves thinking â??gullible

titâ??

17) The sound of leather against willow on the village green

All the Village Greens have been sold to Barretts Housing for executive Housing

18) Queuing at bus-stops and the general orderliness of public transportation

Swearing, shouting, pushing and cursing the driver in eight different languages is now the norm at Bus Stops

19) Bizarre craft shops that are run as purely a labour of love and sell bizarre nic-nacs that no one would ever buy

See Pound-land

20) Off-the-peg trousers and jackets that actually fit the normal human being

Ok if normal is six foot two with a 30 waist

21) Rummaging around in charity shops

If you must, however with Pound-land its not really worth it anymore

22) Sunday morning football

A sad past time for blokes who canâ??t enjoy a good Saturday night out

23) Feeding the ducks

All gone on Asylum Seeker barbeques

24) That unmistakable Sunday morning chorus of electric lawnmowers and hedge-clippers

Oh to be middle class, Sunday morning chorus in most British towns is now Police sirens, and wailings from the Mosque and Polish hooligans

25) A sandwich and a cappuccino from Pret-A-Manger

About 8 pounds sterling now

26) Sheltered harbours, fishing smacks, jaunty fisher-folk, the smell of sardines and shitloads of seagulls

Last time I went to Blackpool it was vomit, the smell of fish and chips, and jaunty stag nights, still shitloads of seagulls

27) The whole country coming to a standstill thanks to two inches of snow.

Some things never change

28) "Can you spare a pound for an old gypsy?"

Its illegal to call them gipsies, its Travellers now

29) The pride in wearing a poppy as Remembrance Sunday draws near

I agree unfortunately you now run the risk of offending Muslims and anti war heroes

30) Getting invited to a wedding and deep down, actually quite looking forward to it

The booze the punch up, the arguments, I do too

31) Front page newspaper photos of people eating ice-cream and splashing about in paddling pools just because the thermometer has gone above 68 Fahrenheit

See earlier comment on snow

32) Old people who still refer to things as 'four shillings and ha'penny' despite the UK going decimal almost 40 years ago

All dead now, and if they had been a shopkeeper prosecuted under EEC Law, which only the British obey

33) The laughable predictability of bank holiday traffic jams

Same same

34) Morris dancers

A very strange English pastime

35) The English affection for its dogs

Now being used as bait at illegal dog fights and for Badger Baiting

36) Stewed tea, burnt toast, lumpy mashed potato and tough steak

Greasy Spoon cafes, mostly a thing of the past, but my mum can still be relied upon

37) Car boot sales and Sunday markets - and having the audacity to ask the seller if they'd 'take fifty pence for it'

Quite right too

38) English fruit - strawberries, apples, plums and cherries - that look like shit, are in season for about 72 hours, but taste like no fruit you've ever tasted before.

And also give you the shits due to the abolition of any food controls during the Thatcher years

39) Affordable cheap plonk (if only for cooking with)

The country awash with it mostly on the pavements on a Saturday night

40) Chinese and Indian take-aways on every single high street

Now being run alongside the Iranian, Iraq and Polish takeaways, god bless immigration controls

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, dear ... reminds me of going back to the States in the '90s to find the motels all run by the Patels, the convenience shops all Indian or Pakistani, and a mosque being built - to say nothing of having to make a bank withdrawal before buying a small bag (plastic now) of groceries. And this was before the Hispanics all starting moving north.

:p

The biggest thing to fuck up this country (other than Labour) is the 'uman rights act. Its basically giving liscense to sue whoever, whenever over whatever.....

Just robbed a house, stolen the owners life savings, but cut yourself on the glass that you broke to get in ? sue the owners, they should of had shatter-glass!!!

Also no-one takes responsiblity anymore - tripped over the pavement cos you were pissed and had a shoelace undone? well it aint your fault, its the councils for not making sure the walkway is even.

This country stinks, I am not proud to be British anymore and I am not alone...

Guest lazyphil

you bunch of miserable pesamistic negative old gits :grinyes: . wherever you have a chav infested cesspit you have the opposite still, country pubs, penguin chocolate bars, peaceful country roads, sunday roasts etc, mayday (5th) i'm taking littlun to the reach mayday fair again (oldest festival in the country still going strong) near newmarket, morris dancers, helter scelters, jousting, warm beer at dykes end pub :crazy:

26) Sheltered harbours, fishing smacks, jaunty fisher-folk, the smell of sardines and shitloads of seagulls

Last time I went to Blackpool it was vomit, the smell of fish and chips, and jaunty stag nights, still shitloads of seagulls

clearly the writer not been to wells next to sea, crabbing on the harbor wall with fresh fish and chips. the english sea side idyl still exists.

i'm accutley aware of how aspects of the uk are going belly up but there is plenty of traditional places left and plenty of respectful people not bent on peddling drugs and being anti social scum. put your blinkers on and get on with life i say!

#3--plenty of olde worldly pubs in my area,great food and great real ale.

my favourite is an old coaching inn over 500 Years old with great views over the South Downs.

#5--same same as #3,we have many villages mentioned in the Doomsday Book.

many still have Norman Churches with the bells ringing on a Sunday Morning and then off to the Village Green for a Cricket Match.

local Cricket just 10 Minutes walk from me and a great way to spend a Summer's Day with a few beers.

#15--great fish and chip shop near me.

in a small arcade with an Indian and 2 Chinese take-aways but all good food and i frequent them all.

#26--don't have to go too far from me to enjoy all that stuff and the West Country is a delight to visit.

20) Off-the-peg trousers and jackets that actually fit the normal human being

Ok if normal is six foot two with a 30 waist

I think you got this one wrong. I'm approximately a 30 inch waist and increasingly often I can't find my size because shops are now catering to a nation of fatties.

But waist size 38" and over - no problem. :doah:

Archived