Swan Dive

Coss

I guess this forum is the right place but Mods move this if you want.

Today, this afternoon, I was driving over the Hopetoun bridge in Auckland in NZ and saw a guy, 50 ish, standing on the outside of the railing, his arms looped back over the top rail.

In the split second it took me to realize what he was doing, he lifted his arms and fell forward into a classic Swan Dive.

He disappeared from view and I stopped and called the Police and Ambulance.

Later the police said he'd fallen 35 to 40 metres into a concrete car park, dead, obviously.

Now there's something you don't see every day.

Quite sobering really.

Coss

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must have been a terrible experience.

Many of us here are former military or have spent many years in Asia and death is something we've seen more often than we would have liked to.

But in the safety of a New Zealand town I suppose it's not something you expect to happen like that.

I have a lot of respect for suicides who get it right the first time, they make the choice and get it over with.

Jesus Coss - your return to Farangland really has had its share of light and shade hasnt it ? I hope you are OK - he made his choice and I applaud the fact that he had the guts to go through with it. Easy for me to say - I didnt see it.

Hang in there,

Gobble

Farkkkkk mate scary shit....

...I know friends that have been close to the edge....but fortunately no one has had the guts to follow through....

Guess you're lucky you're in NZ.... and not Pattaya

Otherwise it could be a daily occurance.....and you'd need to carry an umbrella to avoid nasty stains on your white slacks.... as you walk down the foot path....

No consideration for snappy dressers...those Pattaya "Sky Divers".......

PS....On a serious note...hope you're OK

...Just take 3 tablets of JW Gold....lay down....shut your eyes....and think of lunch on January 12, 2009....

Someone told me there's Lamb Pie on the Menu

Take care mate

Cheers DS

near me is a high bridge over a motorway which is a fave for people committing suicide.

a friend of mine who was an ambulance man had the misfortune to see a body hit the road 50 Yards in front of him...... :barf:

it affected him so much he had to quit work even though he had seen many gruesome things over the Years.

thankfully i don't have to drive under the bridge on any given Day........

Guest lazyphil

my sister while doing her nursing training in london saw a man leap in front of a tube train after a night shift returning home, she saw him pacing up and down right near her and when the next one coming through and not stopping he jumped.....hell of a mess. one time she had to tell a young lad on waking up from a coma he had no legs from a failed suicide attept with a london bus.

For those wishing me well, thanks for the concern, I'll be fine, if a little quiet today.

My main thoughts were/are, coulda been any one of us. We see all sorts of statistics on Teenage drug use, Cervical Camcer rates, and other issues affecting people, but when it comes to middle aged hetero men............ if another one drops off the planet, does any one notice?

Any hoo, onwards and upwards.

Cheers

Coss

and think of lunch on January 12, 2009....

Someone told me there's Lamb Pie on the Menu

Spooky, you know my dates? Now you're Clairvoyant?

Or is that just Claire? Well Raoul says... Ahhh.. no not here...

Cheers

Coss

And I thought this thread was about the soi 4 clusterfuck of Swan guesthouses!

I wonder why they had to build such a big bridge over a carpark anyway? Seems a bit of an attractive nuisance, really.

coss, it's my opinion that everything happens for a reason, even if the reasoning seems f*cked or utterly incomprehensible.

yimsiam

Archived