Alcohol

gobbledonk

eat then drink from 8pm until sometimes 5am in the morning, consumeing about 10 bottles of Singha and you know

CF, that's about an average of a bottle per hour! If you're talking small bottles of beer, then that's very slow drinking!! :grin:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've carried on at length about this before but it really does need to be repeated: what many attribute to hangover or jet lag is actually the cumulative effect of primary dehydration which affects virtually every bodily function.

This is especially true for guys just like the OP. They arrive somewhat dehydrated in the first place from the flight, especially if they were drinking alcohol on the flight. Most passenger aircraft maintain about 15% humidity; pretty arid.

Even for a midnight arrival, Bangkok can easily be over 90f and steamy. Between sweat, water vapor from breathing and digestive functions, the normal rate of water loss: about 3 liters a day (72f, moderate humidity) can double or even triple.

Add to that the fact that alcohol inhibits the cells ability to absorb water to the extent that even if you have consumed six liters of beer, your net fluid gain is negative and the more you drink, the more negative it gets. Drinking water between drinks doesn't really help since the cells are already compromised.

At just 2% dehydration you begin to feel effects: lethargy, stomach upset, depression, dizziness...the litany goes on and on, it can even cause..um..sexual dysfunction.

One very clear indication is dark yellow piss, especially if you piss less than normal even though you've been drinking.

I'll stop here. If you want to know more, Google will send you to many informative sites; just keep in mind that you need a lot of water here; much more than at home.

Point taken Dave - I did drink a lot of water/iced tea during the day, but mostly grog at nite. I finally started ordering water at around 4am on the last 'big night'. To my surprise, one of the girls who had been drinking on my dime opted for water too : only time I saw that in my 6 nights on the Soi.

How the hell their tiny bodies metabolise it is a mystery to me, but the symptoms that you describe have to manifest themselves eventually. I've never met a drinker who hasnt had to pay the piper sooner or later - as I said in the OP, hangovers have always done a pretty good job of slowing me down, at least here in Farangland.

I find it difficult to comprehend a single guy coming to Thailand with the intention of frolicking with the ladies then getting loaded to the extent he falls into bed alone.

I've been a heavy drinker all of my adult life, a functioning alcoholic, and never had any ill effects up to the last couple of years where it's all starting to catch up with me.

Who says I go to bed alone ? ;)

Now I know why CF only hangs out with me and buddies for a couple of hours per trip when he is in Pattaya, at 4 drinks per hour he cannot keep up with us.

Firstly 10 is an average.

And Mekong, I've seen you pissed - its a good reminder to keep me semi-sober :p

Now I know why CF only hangs out with me and buddies for a couple of hours per trip when he is in Pattaya, at 4 drinks per hour he cannot keep up with us.

Firstly 10 is an average.

And Mekong, I've seen you pissed - its a good reminder to keep me semi-sober :p

• 3 weeks later...

I do not drink any alcohol back in home country.

I do drink Heinekin in LOS. But I do have to take an aspirin before one drop of beer or else I obtain a hangover/head ache next morning.

After 4 or 5 Heinekins, I start drinking cola.

As far as the gals drinking . . . who is paying for all those drinks?

Never drink alcohol elsewhere than in LOS and if I have no choice or if it is a party.

If I go to T...club and the lovely Jen is the barmaid then we might empty together one bottle of whisky by drinking shots.

If in a place where I have a few bottles, then yes I drink vodka tonic.

Except that, I drink orange juice, coke light/zero etc...

Archived