Best mobile service provider for internet access?

mongatu

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sd, "460kbps" you must be in Chiang Mai with an HSxPA phone using 900Mhz!!!

yes Thailand has always been implementing strange & 'illegal' mobile bands such as GSM1800 & GSM1900 co-existing & now they'll implement both WCDMA850 (DTAC), WCDMA900 (AIS) & WCDMA (phase 2 once new licences are granted)!!!

can't wait to get those 'useful' video calling features :cover:

Well according to what I read online of the general specs of your phone, it has HS*** (I forget the initials) 2100, which shouldn't even work at broadband speeds on AIS's network, unless perhaps you got a special version of the phone made specifically for AIS that has been modified to work on the band they are using.

Anyway, it sounds as if I'm going to have to buy a new phone in Thailand if I want to have broadband access via my cell phone. Won't do it if I can't get a flat monthly rate for unlimited (or virtually unlimited) use though.

Dunno, not up on phone technology. All I know is that use the phone to connect my laptop to the internet via a USB cable and Nokia's supplied software (One Touch Access inside Nokia's PC Suite) and that's the speed it connects at.

Cheers,

SD

currently sat on the beach in pak naam pranbiuri province and posting on this board at 400+ from my phone. I use AIS 100 hours for 300 baht/momth in real terms 10 baht a day for 3 hours:

as has been mentioned a lot of places now have free wifi nowadays ame I am sure if you were carrying your laptop you would find a free network easy

Dunno, not up on phone technology. All I know is that use the phone to connect my laptop to the internet via a USB cable and Nokia's supplied software (One Touch Access inside Nokia's PC Suite) and that's the speed it connects at.

Cheers,

SD

I have the same sort of set up and that's not your connection speed. I know the little icon says that but it says it for everyone regardless of connection speed. It's just the maximum potential speed of your device I believe. To find out your real speed go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and you'll probably find it to be around 200 Kbps.

In Pattaya I bought a One2Call sim card for 300 baht and paid 999 baht (plus VAT) for one month unlimited and it was a total fucking disgrace - wouldn't keep a connection for more than 10 minutes. So I bought a 49 baht DTAC sim card and pay 249 baht (plus VAT) for 7 days unlimited and it's 99.9% reliable (I can stay connected for days) with 160-200 Kbps connection speed.

My speedtest results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/273427658.png

Well that was my experience with using AIS last time I was in Pattaya and so I also used DTAC reliably at the "EDGE" speed rates you mentioned for the weekly rate you mentioned.

I was just wondering if perhaps by now, AIS had gotten their act together in Pattaya regarding at least EDGE speeds. When was the last time you tested AIS in Pattaya?

currently sat on the beach in pak naam pranbiuri province and posting on this board at 400+ from my phone. I use AIS 100 hours for 300 baht/momth in real terms 10 baht a day for 3 hours:

as has been mentioned a lot of places now have free wifi nowadays ame I am sure if you were carrying your laptop you would find a free network easy

I'm interested in having internet access for my laptop in my room in a place that doesn't provide wifi or a cabled connection. I like to have unlimited access in the comfort and privacy of my room and can't use the house phone, that's why I'm looking for access from one of the mobile service providers.

Well that was my experience with using AIS last time I was in Pattaya and so I also used DTAC reliably at the "EDGE" speed rates you mentioned for the weekly rate you mentioned.

I was just wondering if perhaps by now, AIS had gotten their act together in Pattaya regarding at least EDGE speeds. When was the last time you tested AIS in Pattaya?

I last tested AIS a couple of months back and it's shit.

You won't get EDGE speeds much faster than 200 kbps in Thailand now or ever. New 3G technology is being introduced by AIS and DTAC this year which should offer much faster speeds. Hutch already offers CDMA EVDO in Pattaya with speeds about 4 times faster than EDGE but its only available on postpaid so you need a work permit or Thai drivers' licence.

Archived