Taxi mafia extends to Nana, Soi Cowboy

Neo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange.

I tend to tip very well (too zell) a decent taxi driver.

who does not sit at the touristic places, hotels etc...

who does not say his meter is dead

who does not try to take me to an MP

-> But I guess too that when I say where I want to go in almost correct Thai that it helps too

Never tried to say the complete BKK nañe though

My history doesn't go as far back as the time before meters, I landed in 98. Back then I was told that all taxis had meters and had to use hem and that it was a recently enforced action prior to which it had been a bit hit and miss as to which would and which would not agree to turn on the meter. Since coming here I have only ever faced the no meter situation a couple of times. Until recently, and it does seem as if the trend is back toward an unwillingness to use the meter. Could be the rising gas price, don't know, but very annoying, same with the taxis that don't want to take you where you want to go, most annoying.

Since at least 2000 the taxis around the tourist traps (temples, palaces, etc) refused to use the meter, later taxis waiting outside hotels (except Oriental!), last election for governor in BKK I found the same re KSR and Patpong. So not surprised to hear that Nana and SC are the same now.

The solution has always been to walk 50 m and stop a taxi.

I remember that at least for 4 years there have been asshole taxidrivers in front of Nana and Cowboy that have tried to do no meter -scam. A few years ago I almost got into a fight with one taxi driver in front of Nana because I lost my nerve and told him to fuck off :o

Since at least 2000 the taxis around the tourist traps (temples, palaces, etc) refused to use the meter, later taxis waiting outside hotels (except Oriental!)

1996 when i started to work in thailand i lived the first 2 months in a hotel. every morning i had a discussion with the taxi asses to turn on the meter. after one week i got so pissed off that i asked the employer for a car and drove myself!

OK - 100 Bht is a ripp off (within the 35 Bht-zone)

But this means, I will be ripped off for about 1,30 Euro, which is less than the Childs-Fare for the Underground here in Frankfurt.

Do you think I care?

I'd love to be ripped off 4 times today instead of sitting in this shitty office and counting the days till Dec. 12th.

MaW

now put in into euros compared to the buying power

they are ripping you off for about 30 euros at least

now do you care ???

I used ze taxis from SC to soi 19 or 18 a lot, always within the 35 baht limit,

for TL I always paid 50 baht as he had to drive backwards afterwards ,

for soi 19 I gave 40 baht

but ONLY if they used the meter without complaining

my GF speak very well Thai even if she is not thai and heared him complaining. He only got the exact ammount (not comming from SC though :) )....

farang not equals ripp off...

Archived