Do you use internet telephony?

tartempion

This is a message from my son, finishing an MBA in Bangkok . Time for him to marry his TG and make some money (relief for me)

So please help him (He posted this on Thai Visa without much success :( he needs 200 replies and is not half way)

Related to my masters thesis, I am conducting a survey on international telephony, more specifically on how expats in Thailand phone 'home'.

(ok, I can imagine many people call Thailand their 'home', so I should say "how expats phone people in their "country of origin")

The goal of the survey is to get a picture on the way expats call friends and family back home and make other non-work related international calls.

I also try to investigate how often internet telephony (like Skype) is used versus 'traditional' telephony, and reasons behind this.

The survey can be found here

(www.zan.be/limesurvey/index.php?sid=65439)

It takes approximately 10 minutes to fill in the survey, and this is greatly appreciated rolleyes.gif

The results of the research will be published June 15th 2008 on www.zan.be/research

(the survey is anonymous, collected data to be used for academic purpose only)

I am looking forward to receive your responses.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest your son does more homework.

He doesn't realize and clouds the issue of Mobile phones using VOIP.

Many mobile operators globally use VOIP Gateways - in Thailand dial 008 (for AIS) in front of the number you want overseas and you are making a VOIP phone call - no need to use third party software like gizmo etc.

VOIP is far ore widely used than realized and the technologies are not often seen. He should however at least know that using a mobile phone is NOT "Traditional" but can also be VOIP.

His choices of how you use VOIP omit this. Given more $ are spent on VOIP gateways this is a pretty bad mistake.

Why no mention of Calling Cards? Still popular and also VOIP

CTO - good idea for a separate post!

How to make calls from:

TOT

TA/True

In Thailand only: 1234 + telephone number

Overseas:

001-809 + country code + number

007 - for calling to Laos and Malaysia

008 - ?

009 - Can use from mobile phones

I recently saw one for 005 -

Any others? Someone should come up with a quick listing.

Archived