Currently - best gogo?

lifesabeach

Soi Cowboy is better than it used to be 7 years ago.

)

7 years ago, Clinton Plaza was open, wasn't it?

that was always a nice place to take a break on the walk up to cowboy.

and then there were the few bars / go-gos at soi 10 which vanished quite literally overnight.

soi 1 is gone now, too; which is rather a shame, a few of those bars had some nice girls and a good atmosphere.

fewer and fewer options in bangers as years go by, thank fully more options have popped up else where, and thankfully i rarely, if ever, see any threads about those needles in the haystacks and hidden gems of sanuk. if you don't know where or what the hidden gems of sanuk are, i'll certainly never tell. :smirk:

where is the definitive history of the sex-pat bars of bangers? you know, something like a city registry history showing when a bar was first opened, changed names, when 2 small bars were joined together into one big bar, when sunshine bar was forced to put that sign back up? when the thermae moved, etc. it would make an interesting read, and photos of the various decades would make it a must buy / must read coffee table book.

my new project: The Definitive History of Bangkok's Nightlife. i just called my literary agent and got that title copyrighted. :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you're right NEP still have the lookers - the odds are just so much lower of a quality shack or simply a good experience.

well I had plenty of (repeat) starfish out of AW in its haydays some 5? years ago :drunk:, but still maybe it's worth the effort to try again - well RB4 can't be worse than Baccare have become lately can it :cover:

Trink goes back way before me, but he can't be arse to write anything these days. I didn't get here until 1973. Trink arrived around 1965!

There's a paperback book from the late '60s called Bangkok After Dark. It was written under a pseudonym by a journalist. (Dean Barrett can tell you who the real author was. I've forgotten.) It was part of a nightlife of the world series and talks about Patpong and some other places around 1968. I've had 2 copies over the years, but each time they've been borrowed and never returned.

KS had a nightlife history on the Nanaplaza site. Won't open for me when I try to find it. But here's something from 8 years ago:

http://nb.nanaplaza.com/info/columns/westeast.php?EntryDate=0005

nice reads, those. cheers.

there would still be some decent sales potential in a historical look, using city records, glossy photos of how the areas have changed over the years, how the names / styles of such bars have changed, etc. the number of single male travelers to LOS over the years, statistics and such.

i reckon someone could make a bit of dosh if they put it all together and had it published in a coffee table book format.

do slapper bowlers and bumpers even have coffee tables?

(the better to bend the bar girl over type table)

when did the Huay Kwang area develop?

Trink has a fantastic collection of photos from his columns at the Bangkok World. He originally had three pages each week, and he was assigned his own photographer. He used to print a naughty one each week, which was the first thing you nunted for when you bought the paper. :)

The Post made him stop all that when they bought out the World and closed it down. Hope Trink still has those photos somewhere.

Hope Trink still has those photos somewhere.

i would wonder who owns the rights to use those photgraphs, then again, T.I.T. (this is thailand) so maybe they will used without permission.

when trink started published the crap i was sending him in emails, i knew his column was not long for this world.

but i don't give a hoot!

Trink once told me with a sly grin that he had never published the best pics. Then he gestured at his rusty old filing cabinet, the one he hung his socks on to dry out. I'd imagine whoever gets their hands on those pics, could use them with no questions asked.

It would be fascinating simply to compare the dancers' outfits over the decades. They were quite tame when I came here. Then in the mid '80s, they sort of disappeared all together.

Archived