2008/2009 Football Season.

sayjann

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say any of the title contenders played particularly well, quite the opposite, (lucky liverpool 3 late goals !?! and the other 2 have lost points already ) chelsea seem more in control in their matches than the other contenders.

But you're right, it's far from over.

Utd. lost 3 points there last season.

I thought they completely dominated Pompey apart from a couple of long range efforts.

Rooney was much better than you suggest, worked his socks off and should have had a goal if not for a blind linesman.

If they can pull off the Berbatov transfer in the next few days I expect them to retain the title.

Berbatov is probably my favourite footballer in the Premier League but the way this 'saga' has gone on, his apparent part in it especially, I really hope he ends up in the reserves until January. Seems to sum up everything that's wrong with the game here. This thing with Milner typifies the problem, putting in a transfer request because he couldn't get another salary rise a whole year after agreeing a very good long-term contract and doing very little to justify it. Obviously I'm happy to see more disarray at the Fortress Of Darkness. Who will walk first, Keegan or Curbishley?

I've actually been really chuffed with the way we have conducted our business. Although the papers have been full of the usual rubbish the club itself has kept its distance until each deal has been completed. Keane and Quinn are doing a great job selling the club to players who I would never have imagined would leave London or wherever, to come and play for us. I sat purring through the first half against Liverpool as we played the kind of football I have never associated with Sunderland. The players we are signing maybe aren't the sort of names the 'big 4' would have been looking for but if you compare the resultsof Keane's spending spreee compared to last year, it is clear that he is a fast learner. Dickson Etuhu, Greg Halford, Paul McShane, Michael Chopra, Danny Higginbotham, Roy O'Donovan, Kenwyne Jones (he got it right with that one though I don't know anyone who was pleased when he signed) v Tainio, Malbranque, Diouf, Chimbonda, Cisse and Ferdinand anyone? Yes, Steve, I know half of them are 'scum rejects' but they represent a big step forward for us! Biggest disappointment has been our failure to persuade Sir Alex to sell us Jonny Evans. Any lingering doubts on that one probably disappeared when Vidic started moaning about the weather!

BTW Steve, I think the Citeh adoption of 'Frank' was more to do with their inability to pronounce his proper name. I've always been quite fond of the club but they are really getting what they deserve at the moment for grabbing Toxin's blood money so greedily. If he shows up on Sunday I have one or two questions I'd like to ask the ugly git though the last time we met (Tsunami day in Khon Kaen) he did sign my copy of his biography!

Anyway, looking forward to the rest of the season, and the craic here, and dreaming of the day when we're actually interested in the draw for the Champions League group stage ......

i have a soft spot for Sunderland now that Keane is Manager.

one of my fave all-time Players for MU and has taken to Football Managememnt very well.

doing a very good job at what might be classed as an 'unfashionable' Club but one with huge support.

i obviously follow the fortunes of the other ex MU Players who have gone into management.

a shame that Sparky went to Man City as i want to see them relegated every Season.

but i hate Ince and now hope that Blackburn have a crap Season............

what news about Berbatov LG.

just seen your post and looked on various news agencies and saw nothing about Berbatov going to City.......

don't know what i feel anyway,Utd need a Striker but is he the one?

edit..........

apologies,just seen news of supposed move to City,but i doubt that will happen............famous last words.

It will certainly put all his 'My Dream Move, supported them since I were a lad, Champions League essential blah, blah, blah ...' shite to the test when Hughes waves a big bag of cash in front of him. I must say, I think he was probably my favourite footballer in the league, the only real rival to Ronaldo, and I think he would make a big difference to United, though he's not the greedy, natural goalscorer you probably need most.

City were very good at Sunderland yesterday, though we were also piss poor in response. The sort of money they have coming in is going to make this a very interesting season though, to be honest, it's just another nail in the coffin for the game that we love/have loved.

Archived