2008/2009 Football Season.

sayjann

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a good start from Chelsea but the result not a surprise.

Pompey are not as good as they think they are and i still don't think Crouch and Defoe will be the dream ticket the fans think they will be.

i think they will struggle this Season with their involvement in Europe,even though i don't expect them to last long.

deja-vu for MU.

a home draw and then a visit to Pompey,just like last Season.

good possession and a few chances created,but Given we would have stuffed Newcastle again.

Tevez was missed but Rooney looked good after illness.

i think their partnership will flourishthis Season.

I don't know what game you were watching Sayjann, but Rooney was goddamn awfull against Newcastle.

I realise that he's probably not fully match fit after that virus but bar O'Shit he was easily the worst player on the pitch.

i have to disagree about your view of Rooney.

first game back after illness and having to play in the role that Giggs/Ronaldo/Tevez would normally play in.

running across the front-line all game but ultimately tiring towards the end which was not surprising.

he is certainly not match fit at the moment but at least he runs all game.

you may mock O'Shea but he is a player like Brown who is an unsung hero.

they will never be an automatic choice but will happily play a bit part for the Team when needed.

players like O'Shea could have moved to other Teams in previous Years but want to be part of the squad and know it will be a comedown to move away from MU.

if they were thought to be crap then Alex would have shipped them out Years ago.

Rooney has been average for well over a year now. Sure, he's had a few good games but overall he's been going backwards while he should be improving with age. Sometimes I wonder if he was hyped up too much when Utd. signed him. I certainly haven't seen an improvement that warrants him being called a world class striker. Ronaldo was seen as a kid with tricks and stepovers when he first joined yet after 4 years he's arguably the best in the world. The same can not be said about Rooney.

As for O'shea, the only reason he's still at Utd. is because he is very versatile. He can play LB,RB,CB and CM but unfortunately he's not that good at any of those roles. I understand that we can't have a squad with 30 superstars and we need the likes of Brown, Fletcher and O'shea who are willing to spend time on the bench but ultimately we are talking about just another Phil Neville here and sooner or later he'll be shipped out to another club.

of course no Team can have 30 Players who are World class,every Team needs the Players who fill in when needed.

that is why O'Shea/Brown/Fletcher etc are needed to help out in a squad problem that like at the moment.

as i said earlier Players like O'Shea could have been shipped out Years ago but have been kept on because of what they can bring to the Team when needed.

Players like these are important when so many others are missing.

at the moment we are missing Park/Hargreaves/Carrick in Midfield and the 3 Players mentioned can fill in.

wether they are better is another question.

if MU suddenly lost Rio or Vidic or Scholes then who would replace them if all the 3 Players mentioned were not at the Club?.

and don't forget Brown has 2 CL Winners medals.

not many current English Players still playing can say that.

saying that i cheered when Richardson was sold and i won't be sorry if Fletcher is pushed out,he is a waste of space.

i've never been a great fan of Rooney or Ronaldo but as long as they play for my Team they get my support.

Sayjann,

I agree about the importance of versatile players. It's a dream for managers to have such players at a club. Believe me, so versatile yet happy enough to fulfill the role of a sub. Not many of those around who're able to do that for 2-3 seasons let alone the amount of time they've been doing it. They could've left long ago to a smaller club (think Alan Smith for ex.) for regular football (even that's arguable :) ), but it's no suprise the manager doesn't want to let that happen. They're too valuable.

As for Rooney..since he's joined Man U I don't see him as a striker anymore. I see him more as a defensive forward..(is there such thing?) :D he works tremendously hard for the team, he tires defences, creates space for teamnates which has obviously affected his goal tally but still does score his fair amount of goals and assists nonetheless. He's changed as a player but certainly not become less than he was, still worldclass IMO.

The Sylvestre to Arsenal story seems to have legs. Certainly a shocker. I have a 'beware of Greeks bearing gifts' approach if true.

Fergie no longer rates him or wants him. Rumor has it he'll come for a pittance (750k). Good cover for at the back as well as cover at left back for Clichy.

Still a bit surreal. Ferguson and Wenger have never sold to each other and I read where Viv Anderson in '87 was the last time a player went directly between the clubs. Not many transfers over the years.

Archived