Car prices in Bangkok?

drogon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drogon, I bought my car new so my advice is only hearsay.

It appears that rising fuel costs are lowering the price of used vehicles as they become difficult to sell.

This site ThaiCar offers a 2003 Honda Civic for 448,000 Baht which seems to be a little pricey to me but it gives you a general idea.

Because I calculated that over a one year period a car would be cheaper than paying taxis etc... to travel (in and out of Bangkok).

Also, someone else could make good use of the car when I am not in Thailand.

3 years ago.

I travelled to Thailand 4 times over one year.

-> I travelled to quite a few places around the country.

Took either taxi/trains/planes

all in all not far from 150-200k going back and forth all around.

Sure this amount is not the price of a brand new car but it is certainly possible to find a decent second hand car.

So it would allow me to be "autonomous" for short nd middle distance travels and it would certainly make the miss happy.

All that for a low price

You've forgotten to factor in:

Petrol

Maintainance

Storage/Garaging

Insurance

Depreciation

Tyres

ect, ect

Unless you're living in Thailand virtually full time it makes no economic sense whatsoever. Hire a car and driver whenever you want to travel around, they're very cheap and a lot less hassle.

Drogon,

Used cars are very expensive, when the wife bought a new car earlier this year she sold her 1996 Honda Accord with 160,000 KM on the clock for 280,000 Baht without even advertising it. The dealer she bought her new car from made 2-3 phone calls and someone wanted to buy it within 4 hours.

Pe7e

I will be getting a new vehicle in the next couple of weeks since mine is coming up to 3 years old (Toyota warranty is 3 years / 100.000 KM) and with 75,000 KM on the clock I am being offered just over 70% of what I paid for it at a dealer as Trade in, so depreciation on vehicles is quite low.

If a new car maintenace is free during the warranty period just pay for Oil, Filters etc Even the new brake Discs at 40,000 KM were free. Insurance is a lot cheaper than the West mine is less than 2% of the value of the Vehicle for a policy you would call Fully Comprehesive in the UK.

I agree with your comment that if not here full time it makes no sense to buy a vehicle since the inital purchase price is a fair old wedge but once you have owned vehicles here for a few years it is relatively inexpensive even though fuel prices have gone up 250% in the last couple of years.

Archived