Recommend Sightseeing in North Thailand?

BaronTT

I have some free time so I've decided to drive throughout Northern Thailand.

My thoughts at this time are that I'll visit:

Nan

Phayao

Chiang Rai

Mae Sai

Chiang Mai

Mae Hong Son

Mae Sot

Tak

But more places can be added.

Recommended Sites to see, either at these cities or elsewhere?

I'd recommend a run along the Mekong from Chiang Khong to Mai Sae.

The scenery can be quite spectacular and you can have a day trip in Burma when you get to Mai Sae.

On the way back to Chiang Rai, a side trip to Mai Salong is nice as well.

your program pretty much covers all the provinces in the north!

you might add

chiang saen at the golden triangle

Lampang (more interesting than the rather remote Phrae and Phayao), there is also the most recommendable elephant camp there

Pai (trekking paradise)

Doi Tung and Mae Salong

Doi Inthanon (highest mountain thailand's)

don't forget to taste the unique cuisine of the north, which is much less known to many than for example isaan food!

That was pretty much the idea.... to see all of the major areas. I've already been to Mae Sai, Chiang Rai and the surrounding areas, and Chiang Mai many times. It is the smaller and more remote areas which I haven't been to and want to be sure to 'see it all'.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll add some of them.

I like the Northern cuisine very very much.

Absolutely!

Actually, it was already on the list but I didn't list it in the forum. Here's the complete route, but I might not spend much time in some of the places. They are just cities that I have to drive through:

Bangkok to

Lopburi

Nakhon Sawan

Kampheng Phet

Sukhothai

Uttaradit

Lampang (note I dropped Nan in favor of Lampang because of the extra distance I'd need to cover to visit Nan)

Phayao

Chiang Rai

Mae Sai

Chiang Rai

Chiang Mai

Mae Hong Son

Mae Sot

Tak

Kampheng Phet

Nakhon Sawan

Then back to Bangkok

Lampang has an elephant conservation center I want to see/stay at. about 30+ minutes from Sukhothai is another park I highly recomend...er I forget the name...Si Ratchanali or something? I think it is in Khampaeng Phet. Footprint guide book has it along with SUkhothai historical park.

If you go at the right time of year,m you can tour Sukhothai at night, I.E. bring a fucking tripod! I didn't, and now have to go back for another shot at it.

Old City Guest house and Orchid Hibiscus guest house are both great places to stay

Archived