Another colorful BKK character gone

Say hi to Somchai for me at the funeral. He called Twin in the states today and made no mention of this development but I'm sure he knows because he's there like clockwork every day.

He had some other news. Your email addy still the same?

Missed Somchai at the wake and he wasn't at the services.

Ya, email is still same...err, just checked: got it LOL! I actually did not realize that "the guy in question" was still in Bangers; I haven't seen him in a couple of years anyway. I'll have to run down to CBSOL to say Hi and piss off Twin by getting a flaming coffee drink :clown: .

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice summary of the events by Khun Bear:

IN MEMORIUM

Yesterday, an end of an era was completed. Icon and beloved friend, George Pipas was laid to rest.

A touching and moving funeral service began at the Holy Redeemer Church.

There was a large turnout of George's eclectic combination of friends. They included the rough and surly to the sweet and serene.

The service at the church included some very personally touching comments from the priest directed at George's wife & love of decades, Mary Ann. Later, Mary Ann addressed the friends, there, and personalized her love for George.

As the church service ended, even the gruffest of friends had moist and red eyes demonstrating the immense caring for this man they now realized they missed.

The assemblage moved to Wat Makkasan for final ceremonies.

The Veteran's of Foreign Wars (VFW) provided a dignified tribute for their fallen Comrade.

George in the tasteful American Flag draped coffin was given final honors. Taps was played and salty liquid substances started draining from many of the eyes that were present. The Flag was then professionally folded by the honor guard and presented by the Commander to Mary Ann, who accepted graciously and with fond touching appreciation.

Our friend was cremated at 1041, Monday 28 July. God Bless you George and sleep well!

There was a good sized crowd there this afternoon after the Wat. Saw many people that I have not seen in a while.

I missed you. I got there about 15 minutes after the power failure and stayed for a couple of hours chatting with some of the old boys who I rarely see anymore. The church service was very nice. I missed the wat service as I had some thing I *had* to get done.

George's wife Mary Ann has got to be one of the strongest people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I can't imagine how hard this has been for her.

Thanks to all who showed. Attached are a couple of phone-cam pix from the church.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- OH, had a nice conversation with our mutual Air America friend L at the church. Good to see him.

Archived