Another colorful BKK character gone

For those of you who knew him, George Pipas died a couple of days ago. George was the owner of the Lone Staar on Washington Square and had owned bars here for decades (including one of the first gogos on Patpong).

George was 86 (87?) and had been here in LoS for 45+ years. Those of you who knew him know what a great character George was; those that don't would not believe the stories even if I told them here! But they were all (mostly) true.

And in brilliant expat fashion, I understand (unconfirmed, and unofficial) that he will be laid out in a Catholic Church, the service will be at a Synagogue, and he will be buried in a Chinese cemetery!

It's been a tough couple of months for the old tyme expats: Chuck Blue, Mad Max, Dan Patrick and now George. Expect Col. Jim Davis to join that list soon too as I hear he is not doing well in hospital (damn, I need to get over to see him).

:rip: RIP brothers :(

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the great legends of Bangkok, and they will be missed. I think I have a picture of George someplace, taken at Thanksgiving a few years back, I'll post it if I can find it.

Funny note, but I broke the news to another old timer, former USAID guy in LAO, he said "George died? maybe it is just his latest plan to sell more drinks..." :)

I's say "go in peace George" But George never did anything peacefully! :) He was on of the greats, he will be missed.

I had the pleasure of Chuck's company on numerous occasions, I got to know him before he retired and was still working in Saudi Arabia. Whenever there was the Eid Religious holidays there was the mass exodus to BKK for 4 days and Chuck was always on the trips.

The church is at the end of a soi off Sukhumvit near Nana. Proceed from Asoke to Nana, on Suk, go over the railroad tracks, turn left (1st or 2nd soi after the tracks), at the end of the soi is the church. 9 AM service on Monday.

11 AM Monday at the Wat on New Petchaburi road, will be the cremation.

From Suk, go down Wireless road, turn right and the Wat is down a bit on the right side of New Petchaburi road.

That would be soi Ruamrudee, 1st street west of train tracks off Ploenchit. The big Catholic Church is on a sub-soi (123/19 Ruamrudee 5) near the turn in the road, where Ruamrudee turns 90 degrees right & the left branch becomes soi Polo. It is Thai architecture, but is a church, so don't be fooled.

The wat's name is Wat Dit Hongaaram.

Cheers,

SD

The wat's name is Wat Dit Hongaaram.

I'm told that's its formal name. It is more familiar as Wat Makkasan.

Also, map to the church:

HRCmap.jpg

Wake at the Lone Staar after the burning. Figure 1400-ish.

Cheers,

SD -- I'll see some of ya there

....That's a classic, thanks for posting it. Is it up in the bar? ....

Yes.

I never actually met George, although I saw him a few times as I was arriving at the bar and he was leaving (he used to always go home about 1 pm ish, which is a bit early for me).

Zob65 (who's also in the picture, although I don't think the artisit did justice to his girth :) ) new him well and told me a few stories about him.

:rip:

What happens to the bar? Who owns it now?

Archived