Slaying the taxi mafia at Swampy?

I've noticed a change in the policy of access for touts at Swampy. They are now forced to stand across the street and yell at you when you leave the airport. How nice it is to be able to walk through the public area of the arrivals area and not be asked 43 times if I want a taxi!

The public taxi stands are now are permanent kiosks (as opposed to the folding table and plastic stools LOL) at exit door three (or is it four?) and door 10.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this change took place several weeks ago.

there is a fence now between the two roads.

but some touts still can get in...those who pay.

but much more convenient now in the arrival area as you could hardly move your luggage cart in the past through the crowds of touts

That's amazing, I thought they were part of the furniture.

To be honest they never really bothered me either at Swampy or DM.

There's far worse, at Manila they don't let a taxi near the terminal, you either take what they offer or walk, and trust me, you would not want to walk out of the airport at Manila.

Can you still go up to Departures area and catch a taxi dropping off? That's what I usually do.

But why would you do that? It seems extremely pointless, time-consuming and just asking to get ripped off (i.e., no meter) given the ease of the system in place...

Cheers,

SD

There's far worse, at Manila they don't let a taxi near the terminal, you either take what they offer or walk, and trust me, you would not want to walk out of the airport at Manila.

No longer the case. I just came through Manila and they now have a metered taxi queue right outside the doors. Only problem is the drivers have no idea where anything is.

Can you still go up to Departures area and catch a taxi dropping off? That's what I usually do.

But why would you do that? It seems extremely pointless' date=' time-consuming and just asking to get ripped off (i.e., no meter) given the ease of the system in place...

Cheers,

SD[/quote']

I don't think it's pointless or time-consuming just take the lift up and walk out. :neener:

I have never paid more than 200 baht to get to Suk always make them use the meter.

Look at it from thier view; it is better than dead-heading back to town with no fair. Why try a rip-off????

JMHO :dunno:

Archived