Slaying the taxi mafia at Swampy?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think it's pointless or time-consuming just take the lift up and walk out. :neener:

I have never paid more than 200 baht to get to Suk always make them use the meter.

Look at it from thier view; it is better than dead-heading back to town with no fair. Why try a rip-off????

JMHO :dunno:

I guess if you just have a backpack and not a normal amount of luggage. You're still fighting your way through crowds twice (instead of once), waiting for a lift or dragging bags up a long slow esclator, crossing a busy street, and waiting for a taxi who wants to go where you want to go. Still seems stupid to me, when the option is fight through crowds once, walk 20 meters out the door, stop at a kiosk, then step into a taxi (who does not have the option of not wanting to go), and you have the drivers contact details in case something fucks up. For the same price -- meter.

Your method is like someone who likes to pretend they are an old hand (or is a Looney Planet reader) and are gaming the system, but in reality there is no system to game. :dunno:

Deadheading? Uh, no, they just get in queue and pick someone up downstairs. Unless they choose not to.

I don't think it's pointless or time-consuming just take the lift up and walk out. :neener:

I have never paid more than 200 baht to get to Suk always make them use the meter.

Look at it from thier view; it is better than dead-heading back to town with no fair. Why try a rip-off????

JMHO :dunno:

I guess if you just have a backpack and not a normal amount of luggage. You're still fighting your way through crowds twice (instead of once)' date=' waiting for a lift or dragging bags up a long slow esclator, crossing a busy street, and waiting for a taxi who wants to go where you want to go. Still seems stupid to me, when the option is fight through crowds once, walk 20 meters out the door, stop at a kiosk, then step into a taxi (who does not have the option of not wanting to go), and you have the drivers contact details in case something fucks up. For the same price -- meter.

Your method is like someone who likes to pretend they are an old hand (or is a Looney Planet reader) and are gaming the system, but in reality there is no system to game. :dunno:

Deadheading? Uh, no, they just get in queue and pick someone up downstairs. Unless they choose not to.[/quote']

The first 2 times I flew into Swampy, the lines at the "official" taxi rank were that fucking long it would have been a 20 or 30 minute wait just to get one. So much easier to duck upstairs and get one that's just dropped someone off.

So now I don't even bother checking at the official rank anymore.

Maybe things have improved now? :dunno:

(I would still prefer to use a taxi driver who is doing the "right thing" and waiting his turn in line than someone who has just dropped someone off, but when it means I'll be in the bar 30 minutes earlier... well.. you know! :smirk:)

As you know, I'm in-out of there on a weekly basis, at varying times. I've *never* waited more than five minutes, and mostly just walk out and get into a cab.

The one at door ten is always less busy, as in I've never seen anyone there when driving by from the other one.

Cheers,

SD -- just likes to applaud (the few) good works by the powers that be in order to (maybe) get more

When I flew in from Sillypore last Thursday (on SQ)I walked straight out of customs to the official taxi rank which is the shortest route out of the terminal, it took longer to fill in the paperwork than it did to wait for a taxi and 230 THB + Tollway Fees to my Front Door (Rama III / Rama IV area).

Taxi lines (and where they're placed!) seem to vary enormously every time I go but I've never got to a queue so big and slow that I could be bothered to go up to departures.

Aren't the taxi drivers going to be less willing to take people from departures seeing as:

1. They get an extra 50B (presumably minus some commission) for the official line.

2. The kind of passengers who are going to pull the departures trick aren't likely to tip.

No one's mentioned the bus. I haven't tried it for a few years but it used to be pretty good. If people are looking at a cheaper option, why not take that? It's pretty comfortable.

Archived