iPhone vs Viewty

Faustian

A while back we all had a nice discussion about the iPhone and several folks ranted on about the Viewty.

Now, I have both. Got a Viewty for Thailand and an iPhone 3G for the UK.

The iPhone wins hands down in all departments, except the camera. The ease of use of the iPhone is awesome, as are its features, the internet, syncing between computer and phone and then there is its music playing capabilities. The camera is just an add-on. It is sufficient for simple things.

The viewty is nice enough, but the software is so-so and it is fiddly to use. The internet is average. The iPhone internet is the internet...full browser experience. The camera on the viewty is wonderful to use though, full featured and easy to use. Definitely a camera with a phone added. The iphone is a phone first and foremost.

Anyway, overall the iPhone beats the crap out of the Viewty. In so many ways...not the most informative of reviews, but I don't have a lot of time and wanted to offer a follow-up.

I'm leaning toward the Samsung Omnia as soon as they release a US model. The current UK & Asian models do not support US 3G. I like the iPhone but its a mediaplayer first and business device second.

Among the features the Omnia provides over the iphone....

Cut/Copy/Paste

Replaceable Battery

Java Support

Opera browser with Flash support

MS Office (full functionality)

Bluetooth File Exchange

MMS

Expandable Memory

Video Recording

DviX support

Haptic Feedback

5mp camera w/flash, face recog, stabilization & autofocus

FM Radio

I like to have a nice looking modern phone. but in reality all I ever use it for is calls, texts and the very occassional photo. All the other technology is of no interest to me and I doubt it's of any interest to the majority of people.

You're right on. The majority of the people want whats cool. Or is that what's hot :dunno:

You could slap a label on a piece of dog shit and if marketed properly, have a consumer base for it. I'm not by any means saying that the iphone is a piece of shit. I think it is an exceptional device and serves the needs for average consumers.

As a device for staying connected and getting things done on the business side though, it falls short. They've made great strides in this area from version 1 to 2 but still have a long ways to go if they are serious about getting into the enterprise arena.

I carry my laptop, mp3 player and my cellphone when I travel today. The specs on this Omnia device have me hoping that I'll be able to carry a single device the majority of the time going forward.

Archived