Who really won the Olympics?

Neo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was englands contribution to the closing ceremony? A double decker bus and a footballer past his prime...how awful.

Not to mention old man Jimmy Paige playing a guitar that wasn't even plugged in. It made me cringe.

There's no way the Brits are going to top the opening and closing ceremonies at the London olympics.

Unless they hire a bunch of Chinese people to help them.

If you weight the medals per capita Jamaica wins! Table:

1. Jamaica

2. Bahrain

3. Mongolia

7. Australia

15. Great Britain

31. USA

47. China

49. Thailand

source?

India must be the last one!

Quotes on winning and losing...

"Son' date=' when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get."

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look while you're playing the game."

â??It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame.â?Â[/i']

Where's New Zealand on the list? I've seen similar stats showing them 4th or 5th

Bobby Charlton was there....

Was he? They won't show the closing ceremonies here until later tonight so, officially, they haven't happened yet. :)

Bobby Charlton...brings back memories. As a kid, I used to go to Dublin every summer (by force). Naturally, my cousin over there had posters of Best and Charlton in his bedroom. Charlton was probably kicking a goal, getting really low and sideways like what was later called a 'Bert' in surfing and skateboarding. I thought it looked cool.

Now, being a yank, I knew nothing about soccer but, surprisingly, they let me play on my cousin's team in their organized youth league (the reverse would never happen if my cousins came over to the US and wanted to play little league baseball for a few weeks).

So there I was, not a bad athlete but hapless at this new game, trying to imitate that picture of Charlton, getting all sideways every time I touched the ball near the goal, even if it put the ball right into the defender. I must have looked "daft", but that was my only move, the one I saw on a poster, even though I wasn't any good at it. :)

I wonder if Larry Bertleman was also influenced by Bobby Charlton. :hmmm::D

Sounds about right.

'84 in LA isn't a good memory. Too much flag waving. I've nothing against flag waving, as long as respect and appreciation for the performances of all athletes is shown. From what I gathered watching television, the Aussies and Chinese spectators in those games showed a lot more class than we did in '84. For example, the women's beach volleyball final - CN vs. US - seemed like the audience cheered both teams.

In '84, all the USA, USA, USA chanting made me sick to my stomach. The only good thing about those games was I could drive the freeway to work every day. There was no traffic on the roads!

Edit: PS. While I'm at it, the Koreans did a fairly poor job of it in '88, which kind of put me off as well.

I understand that the host Olimpic country can include one sport in the Olimpics for that year that wan't in previously. Which will GB include; snooker or darts?

Why not? Would go well with those great olympic sports of ping pong (table tennis) and badminton. What a joke. :thumbdown:

Archived