A complete meltdown of the tourism sector could occur

elef

Youngfarang's country (US) has similar laws. Especially helpful to have paid by cc when your airline goes out of business.

Airlines have been known to waive cancellation penalties when calamities (like the 2004 tsunami) or political crises occur, situations in which reasonable travelers might cancel their plans. But the airlines are behaving like such cunts nowadays I wouldn't count on it. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YF,

As you have probably read on other threads, if it wasn't for Internet and TV coverage of the current situation one would be totaly unaware that there was anything going on, PAD may have been able to shut down provincial airports but I cannot see them taking over Suvarnabhumi. Two years ago just after the Coup my parents flew in from the UK and did not notice anything untoward.

As for Travel Insurance going without is akin to playing Russian Roullette or going Bareback with a Bar Girl, majority of the time you may get away with it but it is the one time that you don't that can screw up your life. $100 is less than 3500 THB over a 14 day vacation less than 250 THB / Day. I know of friends who have travelled without insurance and got into difficulties, and I have had to bail them out. I strongly recommend that you reconsider your budget and take into account to cost of travel insurance.

I often post a lot of frivilous bullshit on this board but sometimes I can also be serious, this is one of those occasions.

Had a old girlfriend who went skiing in Switzerland.

She's a natural athlete - and professional dancer who should never have been on a ski slope.

Placed into the more advanced class when she really wasn't that good - goes skiing down hill and it all goes bad.

Ends up with 18 fractures and breaks in two legs - they had to use a helicopter to get her of the snow field - that alone was 10'000$s.

Hospital etc ended up being 10 000's multiple surgery etc.

Get insurance

Ditto on what CTO and Mekong said. Get travel insurance!

I use CSA Travel Protection (phone: 800-348-9505 and web: www.csatravelprotection.com). The cost of the package will depend on your age, length of travel, etc. I am 39 years and I am traveling for a about two weeks this year and it cost me $70.

Good luck!

Mike

Archived