My friend the fiend

Wallenda

OK now I'm not sure if this will translate to Thailand World, cuz it just happened tonight in Vietnam.

I went out with a friend of mine, have known him a few years on and off (he left here for Korea for a few years). Anyway, on this go around I've noticed he seems to approach pickup scenes with a chip on his shoulder. He always seems to get into some kind of angry scene sooner or later with whatever girl he's going after. The gist seems to be that he normally gets too demanding and wants things exactly his way, and if the girl balks at anything or doesn't do exactly as he wants, he basically creates some kind of bad scene.

Tonight we went to a bar with hostesses. They're not hookers but are pretty easy pickings as long as you just behave decently. It might take you 3 visits or so to get what you want. Well, he leaned over to me and said he wanted to invite the 2 girls at the table next to us to come over and sit with us. Me, I hate having to sit with some girl not of my choosing so I asked him to just take the one for himself. Well, 2 minutes later he got up to go talk to them, and then invited both of them to join us. Annoying. His thinking seemed to be that if only one came, then it'd reflect badly on me, I might look cheap. Bizarre, I know. Whatever. So I sat there in awkard conversation with this girl I really really didn't wanna be sitting with, denied any chance of instead talking to one I would want to be meeting. I mentioned to him I didn't dig that he'd done that, but ok it's done, whatever. He chatted with his girl. Ok fine. I just people-watched and said a little to my girl but wasn't interested. Anyway after about 8 minutes or so, he suddenly stood up and took both their drinks and started moving them to the table they'd been sitting at before. My jaw dropped. What the fuck. As he started, I just said "What are you doing? No. Stop." He persisted and finished putting their glasses on the other table, totally disregarding my objections. Then he just kept saying "I'm Sorry. I'm Sorry. I'm sorry. I know I fucked up. I'm sorry." Way too many times, and not letting me get a word in. I'm just feeling humiliated now and want to just minimize the damage. So I said, OK don't worry about it, it's ok. He insisted I was pissed off, and so I put a calm expression on my face, smiled and said "Do I look pissed off?" At first I thought this move of his was because he sensed I wasn't happy with the girl I was with, tho I'd told him it's ok, it's done, whatever. But after they'd left, he told me that what prompted it was that he asked the girl if she liked him and her reply was "a little." (funny, it never occurs to me to ask these hostess girls if they like me or not)

At some point in our talk I told him that it looks to me like when it comes to places where there's girls, he always seems to go in with a big chip on his shoulder. That he can't handle it. That he just has to relax and not expect that everyone is gonna do exactly what he wants exactly the way he wants them to just because he's paying some money. I also told him if we were gonna stay he had to promise not to make another bad scene. He said "was that a bad scene?" I said Yes that was a bad scene.

Within a few more minutes, he jumped up to make a go at a whole new girl. I had no chance to stop it. He went over to talk to her and soon came back and reported he'd asked her if she spoke English, she said yes. Then he asked if he could buy her a drink and she said No. I'm thinking, yeah what do you expect after what you just pulled with the first 2 girls. Another minute later, after I thought he'd relaxed a bit and was gonna calm down, he gets up and goes over to talk to that same girl who'd just rejected him one more time. I'm just dreading whats gonna happen next. Amazingly what happens next is she comes over and sits down with him. And they start chatting and it seems like it's normal. Until he comes to talk to me and said that he asked her if he could meet her later and she said no. I said, well, they're not hookers here, you have to go slow. He rejects this. As he's talking to me, the girl gets up and goes to the other end of the bar, walking out on him basically. Then he asks me if I've ever heard of the duck test. At first I'm not sure what he's on about, so I said no, whst's that. He said "You know what a duck is? Do you know what a duck is? You know what a duck is." My reply to this was to glaze over, stand up and call the waiter over and ask for our check. What I was thinking was, hm, and what kind of duck are you.

As we left the club, I thought my approach would be to bring things down a notch, not confront him anymore and just take him home (we came on my motorbike). But he came out of the club and refused to let me ride him home, said he'd rather take a taxi. He was clearly now pissed off at me. Good. By this time I was sick of his behavior and was glad I didn't have to deal with him anymore.

Lesson learned, never go out to any place that has girls with this guy again. Or maybe any places, period.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shygye, Yes after I picked him up and we arrived at the first bar (we didn't stay, he balked at prices) he told me he'd had 4 gin & tonics earlier. Radioman, There was a nasty breakup with his Korean girlfriend, true, but from the story I heard it sounded like he sabotaged that one himself. Radio, this was in HCMC in a bar called Sixteen -- mainly Asian businessmen types, we were only whites there.

Frede and Radioman - I agree, he was just acting like a total prick. Also irritating was that everything I asked him to please do or please not do, he then proceeded to do the opposite of what I'd said, against my objections. I specifically told him NOT to invite the 2nd girl to our table to sit with me, and he got up and did exactly that. As he picked up the girls' drinks, I jumped on my feet and said "what are you doing, do not do that, do not do that" and he went and did it anyway. Later when he seemed to not be buying my explanation that these girls in this place weren't hookers who he could just make demands of (as if you could demand a hooker come back with you and she has no say), that he had to work it -- I even said to him, "I can see you don't want to accept that, but that's the score." And that's when he came back with his 'duck game'. To which I just thought, dude, you are a hopeless dumbass. You're being explicitly told the truth and you insist on sticking with this bizarre fantasy you have in your head that is getting you into ugly scenes every place you go into. I mean, the first girl talked with him less than 10 minutes. In that time he was already asking her if she liked him, which was a trap basically - how much could she like him in the space of 8 minutes... the 2nd girl was there an even shorter amount of time and he was already propositioning her to go home with him. I'd say he's clueless but he's not. He has the clues and he does understand them, but chooses to ignore them and head straight for the rage. Pure troublemaker.

anyway, thanks for listening

Archived