Man arrested after officers find weapons, IED in vehicle near USA Capitol

Bangkoktraveler

A man was arrested this morning near the U.S. Capitol after police officers found weapons and an "improvised explosive device" in his vehicle, a police spokeswoman says.

U.S. Capitol Police Sgt. Kimberly Schneider says a uniformed officer noticed a rifle case in the back of an SUV while talking to a motorist late this morning near the Library of Congress. She says a subsequent search turned up a rifle, pistol, ammunition and a "grenade-like object" in the vehicle.

The man, who has not been publicly identified, is in custody at Capitol Police headquarters, Schneider says.

She says investigators plan to move the vehicle and the device from its current location near the intersection of 2nd and Independence Streets SE.

Link

What's a "grenade-like object" ... a pomegranate?

Probably a Thermos, I once got a thermos flask in steel from a customer. To my big surprise the very one was carried by the hero in later Hollywood production but was some sort of weapon - a laser gun if I remember correctly.

Just a with the threat on Obama in Denver, I am sure that none of these folks were a real threat to anyone in gummint... :doah:

Cheers,

SD

Yeah, but as I said then, look at the nut jobs who shot Wallace, The 2 who tried to get Gerald Ford, and the guy got Regan...none were parts of any plots per se, but all did pose a threat.

Another one from the Ignorant LE File:

After arriving early at a large shopping mall and leaving his car in a near-empty lot, a 57-year-old man was unable to locate his vehicle in the lot later that day and began searching for it among the thousands of cars.

Unfortunately, says the St. Petersburg Times, gung-ho security guards thought he was scouting for a vehicle to break into. Instead of helping the man, they called the police who determined he was not a criminal but wrote up a trespass warning at the mall's request.

Security then took his photograph and banned him from the mall for life. He did finally find his car and drove off. :shakehead

Another one from the Ignorant LE File:

After arriving early at a large shopping mall and leaving his car in a near-empty lot, a 57-year-old man was unable to locate his vehicle in the lot later that day and began searching for it among the thousands of cars.

Unfortunately, says the St. Petersburg Times, gung-ho security guards thought he was scouting for a vehicle to break into. Instead of helping the man, they called the police who determined he was not a criminal but wrote up a trespass warning at the mall's request.

Security then took his photograph and banned him from the mall for life. He did finally find his car and drove off. :shakehead

Sounds like a good civil lawsuit but unfortunately how our system works, he probably is shit out of luck.

Archived