Nanaplaza Fantasy Football League

Long Gun

There has been a suggeston that the prize kitty might be divided up a bit, since Racha added the holiday, to give more people a chance of picking up some scraps after Froggy has disappeared over the horizon.

For example:

if we wanted to keep interest alive as long as possible we could do something like

1st place: Holiday + B3000

2nd place: B2500

3rd place: B1000

Last place: Fuck all

or

1st place: Holiday + B2500

2nd place: B2500

3rd place: B1000

Last place: B500

Any comments (from those involved in the 'league within a league')?

LG

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, thanks to a brief return to form by Man Utd last night - though no thanks to Ferguson for restricting Beckham to one run out as sub in 2 matches - I managed to clock the highest score this week, 88 points.

Even clawed back 16 points off Froggy though I think my transfers this week cost a lot more than that! Still, it's a start. This month will sort things out a bit as there are a lot of games over the next couple of weeks.

LG, in need of a settled squad!

For those people such as myself who had doubts over the efficacy of sweeping transfers for "double matches," this week's results prove that they indeed work. In short, those who made radical changes to their squad tended to score from the 70s upward, while those who did not were left behind. Refer to our very own Long Gun for tips on how to do this.

I am not sure if such a strategy will pay dividends each week, but it is worth considering.

Cheers,

froggo

My problem seems to be that I can't afford to buy bach Thierry Henry without selling 3 or 4 decent players. I reluctantly sold Zeige of Spurs but I refuse to part with Poyet because not only does he get goals but he seems to get involved in an awful lot of assists.

I refuse to buy Man U players because of Fergie's rotation system but I'm keeping my eye on Solksjaer because if he gets a run in the team that boy knows where the net is.

I'm really not sure about buying players on the strength of a 'double game' week IF the players are from one of the crappier clubs.

I drafted in Higginbotham of Derby and he got me six points in the first game only for Derby to get hammered by Man U 5-0 in the second and he ended up with -3 from that game.

With the busy Xmas period coming up, there are 3 deadlines to meet and all teams play only one game in the time frames, so I don't think it's worth messing with your team until the new year unless you have an injured superstar.

I think the number one rule is always - pick 11 players that are SURE to get a game.

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

He said, having no less than TEN players in his team from the 4 teams playing twice this week!! (My religion restricted me to 8!)

555555!

LG

LG, We have to have fun with this game, right?! When all is done, noone will be able to accuse me of "playing it safe."

That said, I have three players already with yellow cards this week, and Robert not even on the squad - wonderful.

Agree with Phil that Man U players are overpriced given their rotation system. Also agree that Solskjaer, and maybe Silvestre, are the best bets on that club.

Onto an earlier query made by Phil regarding the benefit of naming your keeper as the skipper. My thought is that if you have a skipper from a quality club who is playing at home and has a history of clean sheets there, it may be smart bet to name him as skipper. You would score 14 points (7X2), which is not all bad. Not the potential high-end score of a striker with a few goals and maybe an assist, but fine nonetheless.

Cheers,

froggo

Well, Froggy, what about that system now then, eh?!?

I can't imagine a week when Leeds and Arsenal players have amasses less points between them in one game let alone two!! Watching the Leeds match v Leicester it actually physically hurt when Leicester got their first and wiped out my clean sheets and last night I went to bed with Leeds 3-0 up and 10 minutes to play! At least Robert clocked up his ration in the 45 minutes he got to play!

With all the top teams playing each other over the hols this game is getting even trickier than ever. I have decided to abandon my mass transfer approach and try to pick a team for the next 5 'weeks' and just leave it unless someone is injured or banned and even then just to use my own subs.

Henry has pissed me off and I will have to let him go - internal club disciplinary action! - with an almost certain 3 match ban coming up! Anyone know when this will kick in? Silly twat! He was quite miffed though wasn't he, flinging his team mates off him left, right and centre. I read somewhere that he asked the ref 57 times "Why did you murder the game?" or something similar. Hardly seems worth it really, does it, he might as well just have clocked somebody!

Anyway, until the New Year .......

LG

The leeds double week was a real disaster for sure and I didn't pick up much from the Newcastle boys either. Nigel Martyn got me 2 points from 2 games. The fact is that Leeds are leaking goals left right and centre at the moment.

I think that your squad is better off with two cheapo goalies which leaves you with more money for the outfield players.

Phil i could not agree more.

My nbr 1 goalie is Crossley .

However i sold my mother , my grandmother and other assorted relatives to bring in Owen, Henry and Pires

and now I am odds on to finish last

Now i will just leave the squad to the weather

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

I have decided to abandon my mass transfer approach and try to pick a team for the next 5 'weeks' and just leave it unless someone is injured or banned and even then just to use my own subs.

LG

It would appear that we have all arived at the same conclusion, which is to abandon large scale transfers for the moment and ride it out until the New Year.

As to Henry, I am also unsure what to do with him as the ban approaches.

Well, happy holidays to all. See you in 2002.

Cheers,

froggo

Archived