Nanaplaza Fantasy Football League

Long Gun

What is happening here ?

PM's Yankees have moved from the middle of the pack, to now in the top 20%. Only a few points and "The Yankees" could be in the Top 10 of NanaPlaza League.

I haven't done anything ! Not a single transfer, substitution or thought was given since I signed up and let the computer pick most of my players.

I keep thinking that I should do something, but now I believe that any move I make would be worse than letting the computer do all the work.

Maybe if I actually understood the game and the rules we could do some serious damage.

PM's Yankees are doing a bit better the the NY Yankees, but still a bit too early to count them out.

Cheers!

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Pom Michael ]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I've moved up to 11th - 12th now in the league (I got more points than Froggy this week and lets face it that man sets the standards)

What is disappointing is that I sold Henry of Arsenal because internet reports said he'd be out for 3 weeks. He's bounced back after just one week on the sidelines and at 10.4 points, I can't afford to buy him back.

I've done very well with Poyet and Zeige though. If I may be allowed to say so - two of my most inspired buys (and Malbranque of Fulham)

Well done Froggy on being number 7 in the whole universe BTW, but had I got the hang of this fantasy football right at the start of the campaign I might be giving you a better run for your money.

Appreciate that, Phil, and I have noticed your climb up the table of late. Still more than 20 matches remaining - plenty of time to make your move. That cryptic "system" of yours may be paying dividends.

Sadly (for me, at least), next week I must leave LOS for 6 or 7 months to go to the States. As you likely know, except at the "junior soccer" level, there is scant interest in football in the USA, which is reflected in the TV offerings. On many cable systems, there are maybe one or two matches per week, with all other offering being pay per view at $20 per match. We often take our football for granted in Thailand, where the coverage is even better than that in the U.K.

Hmmmmmm...given the Gunners form of late, maybe it is a good thing that I won't be watching much football.

Speaking of the Arse, the Gunners and Man U are on the agenda for tomorrow night. Henry still seems hampered by injury and the Arsenal rear guard is dreadful, so against all that I stand for, I will keep Henry out of the squad for tonight and stay with Van Nis. Either way, though, there should be plenty of goals as both clubs have been miserable in keeping clean sheets.

Let me tell you - it hurts me deeply to only have one player from my beloved Arsenal on my squad (Pires). But until (or should I say "if") things turn around, a fantasy football manager must do what he must do.

Cheers,

froogo

I agree that Pires is a must in any team. He's the first name I put down.

I have a problem with the goalkeeper. Should a goalkeeper be made captain? it seems to me that keeping a clean sheet for 90 minutes is statistically the hardest way to earn points.

A very high-scoring week this week due to the amount of crappy teams keeping clean sheets and all those bolton, southampton and charlton defenders picking up six points.

If only I hadn't got rid of Henry who was also my captain - still, Pires did OK in the end with his one assist.

Keep an eye out lads for the 4 teams playing twice next week - Villa, Chelsea, charlton and West Ham. Time to buy Charlton defenders I feel.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

Keep an eye out lads for the 4 teams playing twice next week - Villa, Chelsea, charlton and West Ham. Time to buy Charlton defenders I feel.

Well, a half-decent tip from Mr Mouth there as Charlton did get a clean sheet last night against the bizarrely inconsistent Chelseas of Chelsea (I hope they play like complete and utter shite on Sunday though) by which time, totally predictably, my newly acquired Charlton defender had got injured in the previous game. My newly acquired Charlton midfielder showed how wrong they were not to even select him on Saturday by coming on as an early sub last night and laying on the winner - some scant consolation.

Meanwhile I loaded up with Villa players and took the captaincy away from Hasselbaink and gave it to Alan Wright, clean sheets seemingly guaranteed against the piss-poor attacks of Leicester and West Ham. Result?!? Hasselbaink has his first decent game for ages, scores one and makes the other, while Villa somehow manage to concede TWO to Leicester and last night lead from the first minute to the last when they concede a late equaliser robbing me of loads more points.

What a crap game this is!!

A couple of hours stressful decision making lie ahead with another 4 teams with double headers including home doubles for Man Utd and Liverpool!! But who can afford their players and are the very economical Derby defenders going to clock up a negative score over 2 matches?

I coulda bin a contender ......

LG

Archived