Notice the Wongsawat Government

Mentors

Constitution Court dissolves People Power Party

The Constitution Court dissolves People Power Party and ban its executive board members for five years.

Charter court dissolves Matchima Thipataya

The Constitution Court unanimously dissolves Matchima Thipataya Party and banned its executive board members from politics for five years.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PARTY DISSOLUTION

People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya parties disbanded

The Constitution Court on Tuesday ruled to disband three coalition parties, People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya, and banned the three's party executives from electoral process for five years.

The high court held the three parties for accountability on electoral fraud involving party executives, Yongyuth Tiyapairat of People Power, Monthien Songpracha of Chart Thai and Sunthorn Wilawan of Matchima Thipataya.

In the fraud case linked to People Power Party, the high court cited the Yongyuth conviction by the Supreme Court as the ground to penalise the ruling party.

For cases linked to Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya, it invoked the rulings by the Election Commission as the basis to punish the two parties.

The nine presiding judges reached unanimous decisions against People Power and Matchima Thipataya parties. And they formed the eight-to-one decision to punish Chart Thai.

The high court opined that the punishment by disbandment was mandatory as sanctioned by Article 237 of the Constitution and that it had no leeway to selectively punish the party executives on the individual basis.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/02/headlines/headlines_30089990.php

PM's measured reaction to party disbandment

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Tuesday made a measured reaction to the verdict to disband his People Power Party which has effectively caused the loss of his job and the collapse of the government.

"I did my best to administer the country," he said.

Somchai was chairing the weekly Cabinet meeting at his temporary office in Chiang Mai when the Constitution Court handed down the ruling to dissolve three coalition parties, including Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya.

THE NATION

Forget me not : Somchai Wongsawat

Published on December 3, 2008

Former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat yesterday said the dissolution of his party had freed him from duty, paving the way for other responsible people to take over the country's reins.

Somchai told reporters after his last Cabinet meeting, held in Chiang Mai, that he had worked to the best of his ability right up to his last day in office.

"I'm going for lunch, let the responsible people take over. I'm off-duty and am an ordinary citizen now," he said.

When asked if the political conflict would continue, Somchai said he could not make any predictions. "I don't know, it is not my responsibility," he said.

After taking a rest at his Chiang Mai residence, Somchai met reporters and said he would now do charity work.

"With powerful people telling you to stop, you have to stop. I have no regrets. I can do other things for the country. I can do charity work, and don't need any authority to do the job," Somchai said.

When asked if he had his wife Yaowapa's backing, the former PM said: "She has supported me since we married. She would never leave me. I know she supports and encourages me all the time. I also support and encourage her all the time. We don't need to say this to each other.

"I thank all media representatives. I will remain the same. Don't forget me," he said, while heading off for a game of golf with other executives of the now-defunct People's Power Party.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/03/politics/politics_30090065.php

ok, this thread is finnish.

:offline:

Archived