When will the US financial baillout occur?

Tiger Moth

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26994238/

Economist in academia have a say.

Remember the administration saying if we didn't act right now disaster was at hand. Its been a few days. What's happened? Jack Schitt has happened.

I'm not sure if Poulson and the administration panicked or they were trying to pull one over on all of us. Either way, their warnings are proving false with each day.

The sky isn't falling. Furthermore, with Citibank and JPMorgan Chase buying assets of Washington Mautual and Wachovia, the free market is doing its job.

Previous chairman of AIG wants to buy into his former company. The government may have acted precipitiously with the 85 billion dollar cash infusion there.

This bailout is seeming less and less needed with each passing day.

I think some intervention is needed but not nearly on the scale that is proposed.

Finally, the fact that Wall Street (and other industries) still provide the lions share of funding for the campaigns we will ALWAYS have a problem.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for you (and all) as an economic dimwit.

Nobody's talking about this but...

What if the US allows the domino effect to continue to destroy foreign banks to the point where foreign governments decide to call in their investments in the US in terms of our government bonds (our national debt)?

Could it happen?

Would it make us irrelevant, foreign policy wise?

Is it a threat to national security?

Would it bankrupt us (I'm sure we could freeze our assets, but that would ruin our credit and relevance at the same time)?

Is there an urgency that the politicians are acting upon that they are not telling the public about?

Or is this another myth? There is a pretty smart international group here. Enlighten me.

What if the US allows the domino effect to continue to destroy foreign banks to the point where foreign governments decide to call in their investments in the US in terms of our government bonds (our national debt)?

Could it happen?

...Or is this another myth?

It is a myth. A bond is a contract that specifies payments which are to be made on a certain schedule. The bondholder does not have the option of unilaterally accelerating that schedule. The payments will be made when the bond says they will and no sooner under any circumstances. Otherwise, what is the point of issuing bonds?

Could it happen?

...Or is this another myth?

It is a myth. A bond is a contract that specifies payments which are to be made on a certain schedule. The bondholder does not have the option of unilaterally accelerating that schedule. The payments will be made when the bond says they will and no sooner under any circumstances. Otherwise' date=' what is the point of issuing bonds?[/quote']

That is a too simplistic answer. There is a bond market, where bonds are bought and sold. It is common for people and institutions sell bonds before their maturity to cash out.

That is a too simplistic answer. There is a bond market, where bonds are bought and sold. It is common for people and institutions sell bonds before their maturity to cash out.

What you have posted is stupid.

The subject is whether bondholders can "call in their investments" in such a way as to "bankrupt us" (i.e. bankrupt the United States Treasury).

Bondholders cannot do this as I explained in my post.

If person X sells his U.S. Treasury Bond to person Y then this imparts no additional direct financial obligation on the U.S. Treasury. The same bond payments that were previously obliged to X are now obliged to Y. That is all.

I was right. You are wrong.

You should stick to trivial matters. You suck at ideas and stuff.

That is a too simplistic answer. There is a bond market' date=' where bonds are bought and sold. It is common for people and institutions sell bonds before their maturity to cash out.[/quote']

What you have posted is stupid.

The subject is whether bondholders can "call in their investments" in such a way as to "bankrupt us" (i.e. bankrupt the United States Treasury).

Bondholders cannot do this as I explained in my post.

If person X sells his U.S. Treasury Bond to person Y then this imparts no additional direct financial obligation on the U.S. Treasury. The same bond payments that were previously obliged to X are now obliged to Y. That is all.

I was right. You are wrong.

You should stick to trivial matters. You suck at ideas and stuff.

The government's own words on Treasury bonds is:

[color:red]"You can hold Treasury bills, notes, bonds, or TIPS until they mature, or sell them before they mature. " [/color]

SOURCE

For I bonds:

Early redemption penalties:

Before 5 years, forfeit 3 most recent months' interest

After 5 years, no penalty

For EE bonds:

Early redemption penalties:

Before 5 years, forfeit 3 most recent months' interest

After 5 years, no penalty

Archived