Thailand to issue new immigration card

rookie

I like this idea. I wonder if they will actually implement it?

BANGKOK: -- A new immigration card will be introduced for use by those going in and out of Thailand by the end of this year, said Immigration Police chief Pol. Lt-Gen. Chatchawan Suksomchit.

Holders of the Immigration Card will include those who travel in and out of the country three to five times in a year, regardless of their nationality.

The Immigration Card holders, Thai and foreign alike, will bypass normal procedures of the Immigration Police which include scanning for criminal suspects or those on the police and immigration Watch List.

Instead, the Immigration Card holders will have the privileges to go through fast passage at airports, the Immigration Police chief said.

The Immigration Card, which will be issued to tourists and others by the end of this year, marking the advent of a fresh tourist season, was part of the efforts to promote tourism and investment in the country.

Meanwhile, the Immigration Police will open Call Centre 1178 early next year to provide tourism-related information in eight languages. Besides, the Immigration Police will take part in the crackdown on the exploitation of foreign labour and flesh trade throughout the country.

-- TNA 2008-10-02

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another dumb Thai initiative...-> maybe they try to get more "quality tourists"?

From my selfish point of view, not dumb at all. I'd love to be able to bypass immi lines cuz it gets old quick and I'm flying in-out of LoS 3-4 times a month for work!

Cheers,

SD

I believe only 1st class gets fast tracked through immigration. Either that or I've been missing something because the only advantage I've had flying Thai Biz Class is to be one of the first passengers off the plane.

Even that perk gets lost when you have to board a bus on the tarmac. :(

Damen,

with a TG J ticket you get to share the immigration counters for F pax after checking in, usually little queue there. It appears that you actually can use the fast track for F upon landing as well but some have been denied this priviledge. I haven't so far. Next two trips booked in F anyway, will see later how heavy the crisis to select the booking class... SD doesn't need to impress others, not even himself, so he only enjoys the perks when he gets a free upgrade, hence the obvious merit of the immigration card.

Archived