LCD TVs

Kite_Flyer

I truly hope this TV is more reliable than my last one Gobble, which was a 55 inch Loewe Articus DLP rear projection. I had to change the lamps 3 times in 3 years at a cost each time of £500. Then another bit went wrong which meann't that the feckin thing turned itself off after being on for about an hour. They wanted £1,200 to change this so I gave up on the it. When I complained to Loewe about the unreliability of the TV, they told me that the TV was unsuitable for use in Dubai because it was too hot and too dusty. So why the feck do they sell them there?

The good thing about the Pioneer plasma though is that it doubles as a source of heating. In fact it gets so unbelievably hot that when I come in from the cold I stand in front of the TV because it is warmer than the fire. Is this the same with all plasma's ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is everyone buying LCD at this size? I have just bought a 60 inch Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX6090 Plasma and it is absolutely stunning. It won all the awards this year and it really deserves them.

Power: 510 W

Wt: 50 kg

These are 2 reasons people consider LCDs.

Yes, but the primary criteria in selecting a TV must be the quality of the picture and Plasma at this size anyway is head and shoulders above LCD surely?

It took three people to lift my TV onto the wall brackets but once it is in place weight isn't a problem. How much more power consumption does a plasma take over LCD, I didn't realise this was an issue.

Hi Teddy,

Mate, the debate rages on, but it will be interesting to hear your impressions of the plasma 12 months from now. My personal opinion is that LCDs are more reliable, but they have had their problems too. Main thing is to find a good reseller who is prepared to stand by you when you have a problem, and the better manufacturers *have* upped their game : things like 'zero dead pixels' on a warranty are an improvement on years gone by.

Gobble

Having just viewed few/many at a retail store - I did notice the glass. The one plasma I viewed reflected all light in room/store whereas the LCD did not. Now, maybe it was just the two I viewed. But the reflections can be bothersome to some. Note that some cases have a real shine/sheen and some have a dull matte finish. Again, reflecting or not reflecting room lights. And at this particular store the 50/52" plasma was less expensive than the LCD - but there are so many options/variables in each set.

Hi,

This looks like a good article on it (no time to read it yet):

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

Sanuk!

That settles it then:

- Better Contrast

- Better color accuracy

- Better fast moving video play back

When it comes to viewing pleasure, plasma is still unbeatable. The only two real drawbacks with plasma is the reflecion on the screen and power consumption.

I prefer plasma. :smirk:

Archived