Carter slams Bush on market crisis

Flashermac

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Former President Jimmy Carter said on Friday the "atrocious economic policies" of the Bush administration had caused the worst global financial crisis since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Carter told reporters on a stopover in Brussels that "profligate spending," massive borrowing and dramatic tax cuts since President George W. Bush took office in 2001 were behind the market turmoil and economic crisis.

"I think it's because of the atrocious economic policies of the Bush administration," said the 84-year-old Democrat, who served in the White House from 1977-1981 during a period of high inflation and energy crisis.

Whoever wins next month's U.S. presidential election would inherit economic problems that would force them to postpone implementing some of their proposed reforms, he said.

"The economic situation is an entrenched problem. It is going to take years to correct what has been done economically," Carter said, adding he hoped Democrat Barrack Obama would win and immediately improve Washington's image in the world.

Link

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Carter is very free with his criticism of other Prez...I still hurt from the bad decision he made while in office!

Ohhhh, so easy to forget all his fuck ups!!!

...like when he canceled trade and contracts that the US biz had with Russia...and put me out of work for six months!!! I don't forget!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody remember the gas lines/rationing of gas, 55mph speed limit; 20% prime interest rate. Old Jimmy should stick to what he knows best...shucking peanuts. Instead, he's overusing his peanut brain.

HH

umm, the 55 mph speed limit started under Nixon the last time I checked. I remember it driving home on New Years Eve from 1973 to 1974.

source

your facts are wrong.

sorry.

Carter started the ball rolling with deregulating the airlines, so I don't know where he gets off blaming the Reps for following the same behavior.

He should have, instead, promoted his brother Billy for the Rep vice-presidential nominee. That guy would have been a hellovalot better than Palin. The original "Joe six pack."

Archived