Royal Funeral - Nov. 14-19

vinod

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nearly business as usual last night at my local in Soi Convent. TV was on for the Federer v Murray game, music was on but at a lower volume than usual the only thing missing was the live band that usually plays on a Friday.

As of midnight last night the management told me that they will be open today with alcohol and live Rugby on the TV I will report back later when I get my ass down there.

Got a text from a Pattaya bar owner yesterday evening saying no alcohol and no TV for today 15th.

Pattaya One News

Friday 14th November 2008

Entertainment Venues and Tourists prepare for 3 days of closures and limited service.

During this time, Pattaya along with the rest of Thailand are in a period of mourning. Although Pattaya is dominated by itâ??s entertainment industry, local venues are complying with regulations put into place to cover a 3 day period from 14th until 16th of November when Cremation Rituals and the Cremation Ceremony for Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani Wattana takes place. Entertainment venues recently received a letter from the Chief of Banglamung District, Khun Mongkol which stated that venues may open on 14th and 16th November, however entertainment within the venue must either be stopped or reduced to a minimum. Individual bar owners will interpret these regulations in their own way. The letter states that all venues offering entertainment must close on 15th November which is the day when the Cremation takes place. We toured South Pattaya on Friday Afternoon and found all bars were complying with the regulations. Many bars were open but no music was heard. Alcohol was being served and many tourists appeared oblivious to the temporary changes.

Link

Fri night most patpong soi 1 and 2 bars open even GGs but no dancing. Music blaring out from all bars. All alcohol available. Alas, SOL was one of the minority that was closed.

The pong bars I asked said they would close on Sat.

Today (Sat) beer etc was available in soi 7 beergardern at least until 8pm when I left. The cops arrived and the result was no alcohol allowed near tables at the entrance.

I can confirm that Nana and Soi Cowboy were closed Friday night, while the hotel bars and my wine bar were open. If patpong was open...? ehr, go figure...

I made alternative arrangements last night (Saturday) and don't know what was and wasn't closed, but I guess it was the same. (This is why I made alternative arrangements - two nights in a row at the same wine bar and hotel lobby bar would have been too much.) Anyone know?

Is this extending into this evening (Sunday)? If so, three straight days of bar closures is sort of a record - at least during the time I have been here. Anyone know?

Not complaining, but rather an observation: this was a bit of a shock for tourists who came into Bangkok, wanted to hit some of the bars and didn't know about any of this. Not everyone who comes here checks the web for up-to-date information or stays up-to-date on what is happening in Thailand.

In fact, when I was out on Friday night at a hotel bar I heard more than a few Farangs guys expressing amazement and frustration that NEP and Soi Cowboy were closed that night and may be closed for a few days more. They were asking about Pattaya, but we said it would probably be the same, but we didn't know for sure. We aso said weren't quite sure when the bars re-opened. No one really knew, and I think they found this a bit disconcerting and frustrating at the beginning of a two week trip to Thailand. No one knew.

I guess it pays to do your homework, but even then you really don't know for sure.

Incidentally, won't we have another election in Bangkok? Anyone know when that is supposed to happen?

Archived