Royal Funeral - Nov. 14-19

vinod

shops, factories, banks, restaurants etc. will stay open or max close for one day, but there might be a impact on selling alcohol and night entertainment; at least that's my best guess.

during the funeral of her Highness Princess Mother in 1996, business was pretty as usual except that the whole nation seemed to participate and there were ceremonies in many temples

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are probably right. I heard from 2 independent sources (one girl and one expat) that the rumors are Pattaya bars, clubs and discotheques will closed next weekend. While both are normally reliable I am wondering why just for the weekend? Shouldnâ??t it be including next Monday and Tuesday?

No information on Bangkok yet.

not very precise information in this thread!

Chalerm Yoobamrung is not Interior Minister anymore (he quit already under Samak) and is now Health Minister and has not much to say in this affair!

excuse me Khun Samak,

i have to make a correction, Khun Chalerm has always something important to say, didn't you know who he is? ;)

:grinyes:

OK, KS, how far can we go with this ? I have long wanted to open a discussion on 'the playboy' (you know who I am referring to), but I suspect that would get me in hot water. We can discuss the implications of the death of a member of the royal family on Farang *nightlife*, but not the ramifications for Thailand when the inevitable happens ?

I appreciate the difficult position that you are in, at least as much as someone who doesnt live in Thailand *can* appreciate it, but I fear for the fabric of Thai society when the rock they cling to is taken from them. My belief is that it will make the current scuffles look like Kindergarten dust-ups, but I'd like to hear other's POV.

Gobble

Fair enough DS, but we arent just talking about Thailand or the expats who have chosen to live there. There are broader implications for the region, but thats a political discussion for different time and place.

True, but open and rational discussion of these sorts of issues is basically impossible in Thailand and not a good idea on this sort of website, IMHO. I suggest approaching this from another angle where the thrust of the argument may be less obvious.

On closings, I heard hotel bars and a wine bar (yes, there are such things in Thailand) I frequent will be open...probably. We'll find out for sure at the end of the work week, on Friday.

With possible closings and compulsory (even if only pretend) somberness just around the corner, I suspect Loy Krathong - this Wednesday - will be particularly raucous.

Archived