Tuk Tuk drivers = Criminals

clubsiam

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to bring any money. All I have is my cell phone (that I found in the garbage can at the airport because somebody droped it on the floor and it broke). I just called my wife and the phone went dead. Somehow I lost my charger (which I never had). The same phone sells used at MBK for 32,000 baht. Can you help me out. My brother is sending me money and tomorrow I will be able to pay you back what you paid for the phone plus 5000 baht more. Can you help me out? Please.

Oh god, you are an angel. god will bless you. I am staying at Room 801 at the Oriental. Here is my card. Thank You so very much.

Link

I flew into bangkok as green as they come as this was my first time away from home in New Zealand. I know now but didnt at the time that people make a living from scamming tourists in Bangkok so I was sure to be taken for a ride for a scam which I was involved with two scams. Yes two!!!

This is the FIRST SCAM that people should watch out for which could of turned out nasty for me. Started of with my first day in bangkok I was looking around the shopping areas looking for a camera shop, trying to find a battery for my camera. During this time a young women came up to me and asked where I got my cap that I was wearing on my head from. I told her from a petrol station back in New Zealand, ( I thought that it was strange at this point) then she goes on to say that her sister is going to New Zealand for a year, to be a nurse. ...

these scammers are often quite plausible until put under close scrutiny.....a bit like buying a second hand car - dont just look at the goods look at the seller.....the guy who tried to scam me came across as a complete A-hole...plus he got nervous as hell the longer it went on....

Once had a guy approach me and walk with me for much of the way from Emporium to Soi Cowboy talking about where I came from etc and how a relative worked at a hospital there.I eventually agreed to meet him at a McDonalds at 9 the next morning but obviously didn't bother.

Don't know what the scam was but the suspicion that it might involve carrying packages through customs is more than enough to put me off.

About 5 years ago a friend of mine came to Bangkok with me and it was his first trip to Bkk, we went to the Grand Palace and hired a guide that was offering his trade inside the palace gates, older chap maybe 45-50ish, name badge and some credentials. I think it was like 200-300baht for 2 hours or so ? best money i ever spent at the grand palace and most enjoyable visit there in the 4-5 times I have been. he took his job very seriously and was extremely professional, knew everything about the grand palace.

There was a group of Phillipino scammers working Sukhumvit for a few years. I don't know if they are still around but they'd find a pretext to start a casual conversation. They spoke excellent, almost accent free English and as soon as they determined where the target was from, would launch into the "My niece/nephew is going to school....." routine.

They worked STARBUCKS and other popular farang hangouts. I was approached at both the LANDMARK coffee shop and outside of VILLA MARKET at soi 33.

Archived